• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 150 mod problem

sonoma

Sep 14, 2005
oklahoma
I have a 150 cobradx that the audio is acting as if the limiter is killing the audio.you can start to talk and the audio drops off to vertually nothing and the needle kicks back as if the limiter is kicking in to hard,did the bulletin from cobra for this and also noticed before the mod and after the hi and low audio pots do not change at all.I contacted cobra and they had no idea and I have read here were DTB is doing some audio improvements to the radio,wondering if any one here has had a like problem.also did a complete alignment before the audio mod and its as should be.the person that owns the radio bought it and had it modded for 11 meter on the road.he is a truck driver.the limiter is in tact.also working.
thanks for any ideas.
Sonoma

The improvements I've been doing have been on the 200GTL, but with part number changes, should work fine on the 150. Your problem sounds like its not going to be solved by those mods, though. Just to be clear, you did already add the capacitor near the back where you had to scrape the 2 traces to solder it into place?

yes I did do the cobra bulletin to help on the audio.we have already done several and it worked fine on the others.this radio has a problem and we have not been able to trace it out at this time.as I stated in my 1st post the 2 audio pots do not change at all when you try to adjust them it stays wide open.it acts as if the audio limiter is out of it but when checked at the limiter it works fine.we contacted cobra and the tech there said he had no idea as what could be wrong.so we are just trying a few things 1st before we send it back to cobra if that has to be our final attemp to fix it.just noticed some of the things you were trying and hoped maybe you had ran into something like this before.thanks DTB for your reply and any thoughts you may have.also have the channel rejection bulletin on file from cobra and have used it number 10044 I beleive was that number.

The only thing I can suggest is a larger capacitor for the receiver front end mod. If that doesn't help, I think sending it to Cobra is the best bet. Not only will it solve your problem, but it gives them an opportunity to further iron out that bug in the design.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?