• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 gtl muffled on SSB

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
have a Cobra 2000 gtl and using a Turner SSK. i am being told it sounds muffled on SSB. dynamike is set @ 11:00 and mic gain on the SSK is set at bare minimum. also it does the same thing with a D104.

not sure but i thought the super sidekick needed an extra wire, or contact or something to work with the 2000gtl.

might try a stock mic and see if it sounds clear.

if you, or anyone else has clipped, removed, or added resistance to TR24, then change it back to a stock 2SC945 transistor. this is most likely the case, as messing with TR24 also messes up the SSB ALC circuit, and not in a good way)
put TR24 back to stock.
if you must clip something, clip R131, it is only for AM and wont affect SSB .

VR12 is the modulation pot in the 2000GTL. VR7 is the control for the modulation meter. (this is different than 148gtl/grant xl, etc...) VR11 is your SSB power control.
set it for a max of 15-16 watts PEP.

usually a muffled sound is caused by overmodulation, so you might try running the mic gain at 12 o clock if the radio is modded for more audio.

of course, you might just have a low mic battery.

hope this helps,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated