• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 21 GTL a little insight please

sandpiperx

Jan 15, 2010
Denton, Texas USA
Picked it up for $20. it is in perfect condition. I have heard that these little mobiles can be tweaked to talk.. Just wanted to hear any thoughts on this. Have a great day....

find VR5 and turn it all the way up. then, back it off just a bit and then run a 2018 mic. you should be good to go. (y)

They can talk very well - you can easily do the resistor/cap modification to them same as a 25/29 and can add the poor man's talkback if you choose to do so.

Start by adjusting up the modulation poteniometer as suggested and see what you think. Adding a 2018 or 452 power mike can give them a good sound as well.

The 21 is a 25 without all the added bells and whistles from the factory.. The power mods, talkback, etc are all the same as the 25.

You've gotten a good little radio, I'd give it a solid tune up and have fun.

Had a few of these and they are nice radios. If you want to stay on a tight budget and make this radio scream, you can replace the final with a MRF262 (with legs swapped) and then buy a cheap ProComm power mic ($13.00). Then disable the modulation limiter. Keep the power mic at 4 for 100% modulation.

isn't the MRF262 designed for VHF service?
i have never heard of this transistor being used in a CB radio before.

can you confirm that you have done this and it works?

also, i believe they are not made anymore and cost a lot to get.

My suggestion would be to go with a mosfet final replacement since it's easy to do and really cheap.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?