• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 25 ltd classic st/mosfet

jbenally33

Mar 15, 2009
looking for info on how to do the IRF520 mosfet upgrade to a cobra 25ltd classic st. need info on the parts and the installation. and what i should expect on the output after the installation. then i'm gonna do the swing kit utilizing the cap and the resistor. gonna set it up to use it with a killerbee 250hd linear. thank you.

cobra 25/mosfet

what else do i need with the IRF520. I wanna order it all at once if i have to. thanks again for all the info.

Are you going to do this work yourself? If so good choice in radio's since it's a soundcrapper. If you are going to pay for the work I would sell the soundcrapper and get a better version of that radio.

Reactions: Eldorado828
From what I see they are used in stereo amplifiers. I would imagine if they would work in cb/ham applications someone would already have done it.

Last edited:
That is very
true and that is the first question I always forget to ask myself whenever I look toHowvever the question still remains because the 24n50 is still an N channel power MOSFET that operates exactly as the irf520 only the values are different yelues or amounts in which it operates.
Seems like one could install it as a final with the proper modifications to the circuit.

Woof...

1668166974368.png

Woof, woof...

It's a little slow...

Even the Gate Capacitance is prohibitive can't pull that off (Charge Rate)

These work great for Stereos - even AM Stations - but nothing more than that - spacings of the Gate - to - Substrate - to - Junction spacing is pretty high - so that limits the Maximum Useable Frequency of this device (It's self-resonance) to much lower than the 27MHz.

Part of this devices design that prohibits the use in 27MHz is the REQUIRED substrate Reverse Characteristics - one main one being the reverse breakdown - or it's one way working value when placed in a circuit with bipolar constants - like AC or Audio Signal - - this prevents the device from working otherwise in a Class B amplifier or Class A - crossing over - when it shouldn't - which would have disastrous results for the equipment downstream from it.

It's 500V so the "spark gap" it needs to make this rating - works against the MUF you want - which makes the IRF510/IRF520 so appealing - less capacitance too from that closer gap.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Could be done if you re-engineer the entire final section of the radio. But why? It might give you an extra 10-15 watts but no one will notice. Your best improvement would be to add a small amplifier like a Kl-203, KL-200, KL-300, or any other small 2 pill amplifier.

Here is a nice chart to consider. In order to gain 1/2 of an S unit you must double your power each time.

i find doing the TIP120 var dk with a mosfet, i find that putting a 4.7k from the +8v switched tx line makes it all play nice together. the class C setup on the FET depends on the carrier to work. i have a 66xl and i can clean swing from 20mw to 25w

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.