• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D&A Raider info ????

B

BOOTY MONSTER

whats the typical dead key and swing input and output for a D&A raider amp ? it has 4 6LQ6 tubes .
D&A MANUFACTURING (SCOTTSBLUFF NEBRASCA)
i had a tube amp about 30 years ago but i forget ow to do the tune plate and voltage grid stuff for the band im on . anyone care to remind me or link to instructions how to do that ?

thanks

you sure theyre 6LQ6s???

only reason i ask is because ive had 5 of them and every one was 6JG6 or equivalent..

the LQ is a different animal altogether...

with the JG6s or the like typical is key 75 ish (+/- 25> and swing 175ish again + or -

theres a good "tube amp primer" on this site somewhere stickied but im too tired to do the legwork

EDIT

do you hsave a gray one or a tan one???all ive ever owned is gray...the tan MAY have LQs....

do they have a plate cap??

if not NOT LQ

I found this post doing a search on Yahoo, and from the looks of it you seem to know a lot about the D&A Raider amplifiers. I have a friend who has the all silver version and for some reason he cannot get it to work on anything but the 10 setting. Whenever he switches it to 15,20,or 40 it does not output. Do you have any idea as to why this might be? I do not have much experience with these types of devices, but I do have a good understanding of modern electronics. With that said, do not feel as though you have to break it down into lamens terms. I know what resistors, caps, and all that are; I just do not have a clue as to how these old ham boxes function. Thank you for any feedback you might have.

I have a friend who has the all silver version and for some reason he cannot get it to work on anything but the 10 setting. Whenever he switches it to 15,20,or 40 it does not output. Do you have any idea as to why this might be?
Somebody has bypassed the band selector and locked it down on 11m it sounds like.

WAAAY old post

Or if you look at back of switch will see it's not connected nor was it ever connected to anything just there to get by FCC. That's how my Thunderbolt is.

Last edited:
This kills me cause I am a big electronics nerd, ya know soldering n all that junk, but this stuff is way out in left field to me. First, if you could kindly explain to me what locked down in 11m means or is I would appreciate it, and secondly, when you say bands do mean that the other selections on the knob are for bands and have nothing to do with power output? The only reason I am looking to fix the switch is because my friend says that the 15, 20, and 40 selections are supposed to give him more power. I appologize if all this is very common knowledge, but I have had trouble finding information on this amp anywhere on the internet. Thanks again.

I has nothing to do with more power. The 15, 20,40 refers to the amateur 15, 20, and 40 meter bands. It is probably not connected, or even if it is, you will see little or no power output on 11 meters with the bandswitch in those positions.

Band is frequency 11 meter is CB band. If the switch is actually hooked up you will see wires from it going to coil off the back of one of the tuning knobs each at different places to get the different bands. If there is just one wire on the coil is just 10/11 meters. Even does have other bands would need radio with those frequency's to get output.

And in case you don't know if you touch the wrong thing in there with out bleeding the capacitors can get hurt real bad or killed.

Thanks for the warning, the only thing I have used inside of it thus far is a voltage meter and I have been careful not to touch anything that I am unsure of its purpose which sadly is quite a few things since it is so old school :). I do know that there are wires well not really wires but rods running from the switch to the coil inside for each of the seperate band settings, is there any other way that these bands could be disconnected aside from the wires/rods inside?

the bands

This kills me cause I am a big electronics nerd, ya know soldering n all that junk, but this stuff is way out in left field to me. First, if you could kindly explain to me what locked down in 11m means or is I would appreciate it, and secondly, when you say bands do mean that the other selections on the knob are for bands and have nothing to do with power output? The only reason I am looking to fix the switch is because my friend says that the 15, 20, and 40 selections are supposed to give him more power. I appologize if all this is very common knowledge, but I have had trouble finding information on this amp anywhere on the internet. Thanks again.
10-15-20-40 are ham bands...cb is 11 mtrs...73s de JW

Ok that helps a lot, I do not need to focus on getting him more power then since he is already hittin 120 something on it. What I need to figure out is how to get the other bands to work. Do you have any idea of what would be disabled inside to make the other bands not work? Like I siad I know the wires from the switch inside are running to the coil, so it is not that. I also know that there is another switch on the back that flips between 10-15 in one position and 20-40 in the other position but as far as I can tell it is connected. You mentioned early that it was set to 11m, which I am assuming would cause it to not allow the other bands. Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't all I have to do is reverse the process of setting it to 11m to get it work on the other bands? I have no idea how to do that but at least it is a start. Thank you very much for your help thus far you are really helping me out a bunch.

It's probably working fine, what radio(s) are you using with it? If your using CB will only get output when it's set to 10/11 meter. Would also need antenna or dummy load for the other frequencies and SWR meter as well. As for power output I'm sure someone here can tell what you should get out (on 11 meter) with good tubes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated