• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Difference in radios

Leprechaun

Oct 2, 2005
I was browsing some sites and I can tell the difference in the radios like the 29 and 25, but what about the 148 150 and 200 by cobra?

You will just have to do alot of reading up. The Cobra 150 & 200 are considered 10 meter or Export radio's. They have many freatures like different bands of channels, variable power, higher power levels, roger beep, echo, and FM. The legal 40 channels are 11 meter band AM. Exports will talk on 11m after a conversion. The Cobra 148 is a 40 channel radio with upper and lower sideband which is another mode of talking.

You need to ask yourself

Do you want AM only
Do you want SSB also
Do you want only legal CB
Do you want lots of extra channels
Do you want more power

the 29 and 25 am only radios
148 is am/ssb

150 is low power lots of extra channels (including 10 meters and you will need to mod it to be able to use on 11 meter cb band)

200 is same as 150 but high power

Cobra 25 and Uniden 66 are about the same.

Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Uniden 78 XL are about the same.

Cobra 148 is a sideband radio.

All of the above are very good radios.

Cobra 150 defected junk.

Cobra 200 defected junk.

IMO

If I were you, I would get the 148, even if u dont use ssb. You never know if you might get into it, the 148 is more reliable than the 200, not as powerful, but thats what an amp is for. Pair a 148 with a good 2 pill 2879 amp and it will blow away the 200.

Now, the 25 and 29's are excellent am only radios with great audio, so if you know for sure you want just am, these will have a slight edge on am audio over the 148.

i agree 148 thre great radios the older one newer cobras
dont seem to have much punch.my local here has a tuned
up 200 that has less audio than my stock grant.. :LOL:

i sell the 200 and although many have said they love it
i think they are so so at best

i agree and say go with the 148

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
You need to ask yourself

Do you want AM only
Do you want SSB also
Do you want only legal CB
Do you want lots of extra channels
Do you want more power

the 29 and 25 am only radios
148 is am/ssb

150 is low power lots of extra channels (including 10 meters and you will need to mod it to be able to use on 11 meter cb band)

200 is same as 150 but high power

I want "All of the Above" ...........

Switch Kit said:
Cobra 150 defected junk.

Cobra 200 defected junk.

I like them . :)

I am hard on radios. I have never had a regular 40 channel CB Uniden or a Cobra blow up. It's the linear's and power supply that melts down first for me in the last 15 + years. :LOL:

Marty said:
Switch Kit said:
Cobra 150 defected junk.

Cobra 200 defected junk.

I like them . :)

I am hard on radios. I have never had a regular 40 channel CB Uniden or a Cobra blow up. It's the linear's and power supply that melts down first for me in the last 15 + years. :LOL:

true, the 25,29, 76,66,78, etc are hard to kill. maybe a meter light or channel led goes out after a while, but they keep plugging along. I have bought ugly 25's and 29's from pawn shops that were in pretty rough shape cosmetically, but still tx/rx just fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.