1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Different and Odd Ball radios

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by mechanic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

Thought I would start a thread about one off or rare radios, so here is the first....

2000GTL.jpg

I do not know much about this base, I have a Cobra 135 GTL and looks to be the same size. Cobra must have used this on the early 2000 GTL before the chrome face came out.

mechanic

Crawdad, S&W357 and 357magnum like this.

2. Retro CB Guy

Retro CB Guy Well-Known Member

Hey Mech, How's it going bro ? Can you share a photo of the back that shows this is a Cobra 135GTL ? Looks like a redone Cobra 2000GTL from this vantage point.

73's, Retro

3. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

The 135GTL model was built by Toshiba. In Japan. That company dropped out of the business of manufacturing CB radios around 1980 or so.

The 2000GTL was built by Uniden. First in Taiwan, and then from late 1989 or so in the Philippines.

Cobra imports radios from vendors outside the USA. They don't "make" radios. The only thing that Cobra makes is money.

tecnicoloco, Tallman and Retro CB Guy like this.
  4. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Pretty sure that's a gussied up 2000GTL in the picture. There was someone making stick on panels or decals and selling them on Ebay as best as I recall. Might have been Deb's decals? I think Klondike Mike did a video on one that he did.

Brett

357magnum and Retro CB Guy like this.
  5. Retro CB Guy

Yeah the Cobra 135GTL was NEVER in the Cobra brochures and as far back as I can remember that particular model didn't exist ! Unless someone made one up but officially made in the Cobra product line, I'm gonna debate that some cos I seriously doubt it !!!

There was the Cobra 135 that was a 23 channel SSB base radio, and then a bit later came the Cobra 135XLR which was a 40 channel SSB base radio. Never once have I seen a Cobra 135GTL, but of course there is the Cobra 142GTL model that came a bit later than the Cobra 135 XLR with different chassis inside, like Chris at Nomad says !

73's - Retro

6. nomadradio

Whup!

My bad. Shoulda said "135XLR" above. It pays to pay attention.

Any radio that says "135" and "GTL" together is a fantasy.

ALL the "GTL" series SSB radios came from Uniden until the early 90s.

Cobra's use of "135" in any model number was retired in 1978 or 1979.

7. Retro CB Guy

Cheers Chris !!!

Take care, Retro

8. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

Ranger AR-3500

Not really an 'Oddball' but not exactly your common radio.... I have three where one works pretty good and the other two need work.

12_December_1988_0029.jpg

Actually an ad but gives the then new price in 1988 dollars! Today?

mechanic

9. Mustang 131

Mustang 131 Sr. Member

My favorite is the John Deer CB radio i green. 007 has 2 new in the box rotting in his basement.....

tecnicoloco likes this.
  10. nomadradio

Installing the optional "Ni-cad battery backup" was a pain in the neck.

The up/down buttons on the mike were an optional aftermarket feature. You had to install a circuit board and wire it to the mike socket.

Computers really were primitive 30 years ago.

11. nomadradio

I find myself using this site more and more often

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

299 bucks in 1988 is about 630 now.

Unit 194 and Retro CB Guy like this.
  12. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Sr. Member

How is that odd or different? A Cobra 2000 is not odd or different! It is rare to find one that has been cared for, maintained and not butchered to bits! I would not call a face plate color or finish "Odd or Different"! You say "Different or Odd" I start thinking CPI, Motorola SSB CB, Robyn SB540D, Midland 7001, SBE COnsole VI, Whistler 900, TriStar 797, Royce 1-642. Oh and the Stoner Pro-40 SSB has to be one of the rariest CB radio's on earth. NDI radio's are also rare!

Guys what is the name of the company that made mostly Miltary Radio gear that made a CB that is basically Unobtainium?

Unlike today CB had some heavy hitters playing at one point and a lot of variety!

#12 Onelasttime, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  13. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Sr. Member

I deleted my post which was almost identical to what you are saying! That said Iw as not 100% sure that they never made a 135GTL only about 70% sure so I deleted my post!

Retro CB Guy likes this.
  14. Retro CB Guy

Perhaps you're thinking of the Arf 2001 BIGGUN base ?

73's

Onelasttime and midnight special like this.
  15. midnight special

midnight special Sr. Member

Retro CB Guy likes this.