• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Do you use Russian Tubes in your KLV-1000/P?

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
For the KLV-1000/P, I see that you can use the Svetlana
EL509-SV / 6KG6, Russian Tubes.

I read somewhere on eHam.net, that the Russian Svetlana's are bigger than the American ones!

Is there anything special you have to do to the inside of the amp to make these tubes "fit"?

Also, is www.surplussales.com, still the best place to purchase these Russian tubes?

Thank you,
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes,
There's nothing basically 'wrong' with 'Svetlana' tubes. They might be slightly different in physical size, but they shouldn't be much different. If the tubes are standing vertically they should 'fit' okay.
Several years ago 'Svetlana' tubes had a sort of bad reputation. They didn't quite live up to what was expected from other manufacturers tubes. Since they're still in business, I'd have to guess that they've 'cured' that. I tend to 'shy' away from them simply because I had a bad experience with some of their tubes. That was when they were first starting in the market and all manufacturers have 'problems' at that point. There are certainly worse manufacturers around! I wouldn't put much 'faith' in my past experiences -now-.
- 'Doc

("Is there anything special you have to do to the inside of the amp to make these tubes "fit"?" Yeah, paint the insides red...makes them feel right at home!)

Snake Eyes said:
For the KLV-1000/P, I see that you can use the Svetlana
EL509-SV / 6KG6, Russian Tubes.

I read somewhere on eHam.net, that the Russian Svetlana's are bigger than the American ones!

Is there anything special you have to do to the inside of the amp to make these tubes "fit"?

Also, is www.surplussales.com, still the best place to purchase these Russian tubes?

Thank you,
Snake Eyes
I installed Russian Tubes in my KLV1000. Worked great for me. Increased output. No mods needed.

Snake Eyes,
There's nothing basically 'wrong' with 'Svetlana' tubes. They might be slightly different in physical size, but they shouldn't be much different. If the tubes are standing vertically they should 'fit' okay.
Several years ago 'Svetlana' tubes had a sort of bad reputation. They didn't quite live up to what was expected from other manufacturers tubes. Since they're still in business, I'd have to guess that they've 'cured' that. I tend to 'shy' away from them simply because I had a bad experience with some of their tubes. That was when they were first starting in the market and all manufacturers have 'problems' at that point. There are certainly worse manufacturers around! I wouldn't put much 'faith' in my past experiences -now-.
- 'Doc

("Is there anything special you have to do to the inside of the amp to make these tubes "fit"?" Yeah, paint the insides red...makes them feel right at home!)
The shop I worked at was using Svetlana Tube in the 1991 and we had wait for it wait for it Paper Catalogs and it was kind of a Secret pre-common place internet. By that point, Svetlana had been around longer than I had been alive. What you think that the Eastern Bloc countries up to that point did not have tube manufactures of their own and were not licensing manufacturing technology and designs from RCA, Phillips, Tesla etc.....Get real! You do not think they where buying tubes, light bulbs, mic elements, jet engines, rockets from the USA, Western Europe or Japan do you!!! LOL

I have one or two 509's and mine are not Russian I think mine are Phillips out of Turky or Greece. If I recall you have to move one wire feeding the tubes. If you type in the tube and the word "data sheet" after it you can easily hit print and compare the wiring for any 2 tubes in under 3 minutes time counting looking up the data and printing it out. Also if you put in something like "509 tube mod" I am sure you will likewise get your questioned answered in less than a second as this topic has been covered in detail on multiple CB Forums over the last 15 years. Obviously not all amps use the same tube, same voltages etc.....even if they use the same tube socket.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?