• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

double bazooka dipole antenna (like the one Lazybone's has)

Logan

May 6, 2005
Can someone show me a diagram as to which way a double bazooka dipole radiates?, LOOKING FROM THE TOP OF THE DIPOLE mounted horizontally (and not a inverted V position), does the antenna radiate parallel to the top portion of the dipole (Facing north/south), or perpendicular??

Dipole pointing north.

west. Perpendicular - horizontal lobe radiation

^
|
|
|

.< north ---------------------south> (Parallel).
|
|
|
V Perpendicular (east) lobe radiation.

east.

I saw a picture of Lazybones set-up on his house on somewhere on this forum, so........ the way he has his bazooka antenna erected on the front of his house, does the antenna radiate towards the front of the house, or the sides. Thanks in advance. :D

Logan,
A bazooka radiates just like a 1/2 wave dipole (which it is). That means that how/where it's mounted determines how it radiates too. In general, if mounted as a 'flat top' at close to a 1/2 wave above ground (or more), it radiates perpendicular to it's long axis (broadside). The lower it's mounted the more omnidirectional it gets (including straight up). If it's mounted sort of as a 'sloper', the pattern tends to follow the direction of the 'tilt'. An inverted 'V' or 'drooping' dipole tends to be omnidirectional depending on it's height above ground and just how much 'droop' it has. Theres a huge amount of variation in any antenna's radiation pattern depending on what's around it and so on.
Hope that helps...
- 'Doc

PS - After looking at the picture (which I should have done to start with), I'd have to say the antenna's raidaion patter is sort of omnidirectional with maybe an oblong 'foot print' broadside.

Hey - that's my house! :LOL:

It is omnidirectional. The right side of the picture faces west and has the red tag radiator there.

I hit California regularly conditions permitting, but also do real well in the great lakes region and eastern seaboard.

Does fine locally too, and is much more broad banded than an A99.

Lazy

Okay, thanks Doc. I had to read your post 3 times to really understand it, the part about the long axis threw me for a minute, but it became clear when you said that the radiation pattern will be perpendicular (Broadside), it all came together for me.

I think that I'll try mounting it as a 1/2 wave dipole inside my apartment for skip purposes, since I'll be running 4 watts max.

And for Lazy to hit California and the great lakes regularly, he MUST be running some fire in his wire, how many watts, only he knows, I can't see myself being exposed to high levels of RF indoors, but Lazy makes it look real good running that dipole on the outside. :p 8)

>The right side of the picture faces west and has the red tag radiator there.<

Lazy, Doc, what is a red tag radiator ?, why did you mention it ?, what is it for ? and what does the red tag thingy do?? :?: :?:

Logan,
Wasn't me, blame it on 'Lazy'!
(I assume from how it was used that it means it's a pretty good antenna.)
- 'Doc

The center conductor of the feeding coax goes to the red tag side of the dipole and the shield of the feeding coax goes to the othe leg of the dipole. If you have a Radiowavs dipole, he puts a red tag on the "hot" side.

The red tag side is the "HOT" side in laymens terms. Roger?

Lazy,
Unless there's something very peculiar about that particular bazooka, I'm afraid that doesn't make much 'sense' to me. I guess it's just being 'picky', cuz for one half of every cycle, each side is 'hot'. So it really doesn't make any difference which 'side' the center conductor or braid is connected to. I know that a 'hot' and 'cold' side makes sense when you're assembling the thing, but electrically there really isn't one except for specific 'parts' of a cycle. The 'name' you give to something can make things confusing if you aren't careful. I'm easily confused at times... aaah, forget it.
- 'Doc

Okay, your post was kind of hard to understand Lazybones, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do any splicing or soldering (concerning the braid and sheild),but thanks for the effort. At least I will know where the hot side is, and where the ground is when it finally comes.

.... I was hoping that when I get the bazooka in the mail, I could just hang it up on tacks or nails like you would hang the T-shaped FM dipole antenna that most folks have that is connected to your typical home stereo (No hazzle no fuss).

This bazooka better come with goooood instructions for mounting and installation for the non-tech mind, or I'm going to run into problems. :shock:

Logan,
Antennas used for transmitting 'behave' differently than antennas for receiving only. They are affected by where they are, what's around them, or what's near them. (No suprise so far, right?)
The 'ideal' place for any antenna is away from everything. Not living in an 'ideal' world, that usually means some kind of compromise in performance or ease of use. An inside antenna is getting very close to the worst possible alternative, but, in some cases, it's certainly better than not having one at all! (still no suprises so far.)
The typical indoor antenna usually works best if near the outer most wall, away from any electrical wiring and any other electrical stuff. There are two 'paths' for noise you shuld think about. The first is that anything electrical provides a 'path' to your radio. The second is that any electrical stuff also provides a 'path' from your radio to other electrical stuff. The neighbor's stuff being the stuff you should be worrying about, and yours, of course. You could probably live with your noise, but living with the noise going to the neighbors is not the easiest thing to do. (still no suprises.)
Putting any antenna near stuff means that that 'stuff' will affect the antenna's behavior. The primary part being the SWR/match probably won't be the 'best' in the world. Performance just ain't gonna be as good as if it were outside (where the manufacturor will probably say it ought to be). Oh well, back to that 'better than nothing' thingy.
It really shouldn't bother you too much to sort of experiment about where/how the thing is hung up. Sometimes a small change can make a huge difference. And the other part of the time, huge differences may not make any practical differences. Never know till you try it.
Good luck with it!
- 'Doc

W5LZ says> The typical indoor antenna usually works best if near the outer most wall, away from any electrical wiring and any other electrical stuff. There are two 'paths' for noise you shuld think about. The first is that anything electrical provides a 'path' to your radio. The second is that any electrical stuff also provides a 'path' from your radio to other electrical stuff. The neighbor's stuff being the stuff you should be worrying about, and yours, of course. You could probably live with your noise, but living with the noise going to the neighbors is not the easiest thing to do. (still no suprises.) <

My apartment living room has stereo equipment on 1 side, and tv stuff on the other. I do my best to make this antenna work, but you're probably right, this ant would do better if it were mounted on the outside... thanks for the good luck. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.