• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dowkey antenna relay

gogo_gadgit

Oct 31, 2009
I need to build A antenna Relay, but I'm having a hard time finding infromation. pehaps I'm just not looking in the right places. Anybody have any tips or ideas??

thank you

Really not much to it, figure out how may contacts you need to switch everything, buy a suitable relay, build it into an enclosure, and call it a day.

When I find a deal on a Dowkey, or similar TR switch, I toss it up on Ebay, get a ridiculous amount of money for it, buy and wire a relay, and pocket a nice profit.

Usually look for a surplus DPDT relay with 12Vdc, or 110Vac coil (depending on application), mount it into a small enclosure, with a couple auxilary connections from the other relay contacts, and suitable antenna connections.

Just have to watch a few things....the breakover voltage rating, under power you can have 5-10kV at certain tuning ranges easy.

Also the amount of time it takes to switch, which can be checked on a scope. Gotta make sure depending on where you put that relay that no RF is applied until the contacts are closed.

The application, type of antenna, power level are important.

If you are just throwing a switch to clunk and antenna over and it stays there, you can get away with a lot more.

I use a Dow-Key under PTT to actively switch between a receiver and transmitter and also use the open frame relays to mute all the shack audio while it's in TX. I did this just to be sure I didn't put 1kW into the input of my expensive receiver.

You can do it a lot cheaper (mine was a surplus pull at $50 or so), just be careful.

I didn't use generic relays because I didn't have access to a scope to check the timing. If you do, you could use $3 relays.

There's always this too

http://www.w6pql.com/relay_sequencer.htm

This ensures you have the delays all timed between relays with one master PTT 'event' trigger....I have to get mine built soon, will make my life simpler.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.