1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Elecraft K3 MARS Mod Software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Modifications' started by VK4BOF, Oct 19, 2010.

1. VK4BOF

VK4BOF Nth QLD Australia

Hiya folks,
    I came across this file recently and I have tested it with my K3.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    Simply hook up your K3 to your computer via serial cable, run the software and bingo, the K3 will operate on the MARS frequencies.
    Note that 27MHz TX operation is not possible, even with the MARS mod.
    Enjoy!

2. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure how old/new the file in that link is, but here is the latest version of the unlock software. Originally, too many MARS frequencies were being blocked in the 10/11 meter range so Elecraft updated the software in July. This one unlocks pretty much everything except around the 1st IF and the CB band. You need firmware version 4.00 or later and the General RX option to prevent serious attenuation.

Attached Files:

3. VK4BOF

VK4BOF Nth QLD Australia

Thanks for the update,
    The one I posted is version 1.00.0015 as is the software you posted.
    Neither version permits transmission on 27.??? (I just tested both versions on my K3)
    Anything else is fair game though.
    (I have the General Coverage option board fitted, as well as a coupla others like the internal 2M transverter etc.)

So there ya go :)

4. VK4BOF

VK4BOF Nth QLD Australia

Upon further testing, the posted software DOES allow tx on 27MHz albeit ay 12Watts output or less.
    So there ya go :)

5. dd18

dd18 Davo

K3 Mars Software

I tried the software but it only allows the comport to use ports 1-10.
    Unfortunately my com port is com 18!
    A windows problem! using Win 7 64bit and have forgotton how to change the com ports for devices. Device manger not giving me any opportunities.
    Any advice?
    Dave

6. dd18

dd18 Davo

Got it sorted and moved to com 2 but the 27mhz er marine band is still locked out! Do we need the file from the manufacturer now?
    Everything under 24mhz is open.
    12w on 27 would be just fine...

7. KG7FYI

KG7FYI New Member

I know this is an old thread but I have been scrounging around for the K3 MARS mod for some time. When I contacted the Electraft they said I had to submit a MARS participation # before they would give me the code. Wondering if the exe. file will work on my computer. I run only linux since 1996. Any help is appreciated.

8. cheapscotchron

cheapscotchron New Member

I had no problem running it under Parallels on my mac. However, I had to use LP Bridge to redirect to Port 1.

: elecraft k3