• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

engine noise 2005 mack granite

johnecashflo

Wish I Was Here
Mar 26, 2007
INDIANA
thanks for allowing me to post on this site o.k. here is the problem noiseee!!!!tried noise supp. they dont work its not through the power leads, grounded/powered to battery also tried that didnt help ive tried the rfi chokes on coax no help also used completly seperate power source still had the ugly noise.. oh yea no noise when ideling only when in the power range... thanks for any help

first find out if its comming in from the antenna or power wires . disconnect antenna from radio , if noise contiues its comming in through the power wires , if it stops its RF getting into your coax/antenna .then start fixing the correct problem . just grounding this that and the other can actually cause problems sometimes .

p.s. welcome to the forums and thanks for comming by .

engine noise

thanks monster its the antenna/coax..tried chokes on the coax didnt work..any other help or suggestions would be great thanks again booty monster

Hood bonded to chassis/frame (hinges bypassed)?

Take a small AM radio and set it toward the lower end of the BC band in between stations. Very carefully hold it near electrical components under the hood. Any electrical component is a candidate for noise reduction. You may need to install disc ceramic capacitors across some of the noisier things.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
thanks for all the help guys as far as radios go it doesnt matter if you run a uniden 520 or a conex 4600 any and all radio/coax still have the awful noise.. the noise will actually move the sig. meter to about a 10 to 12 pound sig..however this is only in the power range of the truck..we have 5 granites at the company they all do it . (2005 model year)..thanks again for all the help I will try the little radio trick and see if i can find the culpritt...

What ant. you using? And how is it mounted? Stock coax?

I'm driving an 05 granite, with a galaxy 66, wilson 2000 and Davemade2x4 with no problems.

I put in a noise suppressor and grounded the ant. bracket to the the chassis.

20 years in this hobby and about 1/2 a dozen or so cars and trucks , I feel very lucky !! Over the years I have learned that some radios do a much better job at taking care of unwanted engine or mostly antenna noise , Good antenna's and coax can help as well , but if you have a truly bad situation when it comes to antenna noise coming in and basically taking out most of your receive , You either have a whole lot of work ahead of you or your just going to throw in the towel. This is why I feel lucky over the years , if I had a vehical situation with that much noise , it would surely drive me nuts !! I've heard the horror stories behind antenna noise !! and I must admit , the things I've heard that guys have done to better there situations has blown me away !! like take out gas tanks to get to filters and taking there engines apart to get to parts that they can cap off and hopefully do away with the noise .....this is not something I would do personally ......to much work and it just wouldn't mean that much to me there after. I think I have always dealt with some kind of incoming antenna noise over the years , but not to the point where it would even come close to less then 1/2 an S unit at most , still bothersum ,but as I have read and heard so many time in the past......it could always be worse. I'd say if somebody was getting 2 to 3 S units of engine noise through ones antenna , I would surely say that they had themselves a problem :( one that I wouldn't wish on anyone (maybe a few :) ) I realy feel for you John and I hope you can find a solution for your problem. Good luck to you

you could try a high end coax with a foil shield .davis bury-flex ,lmr400uf , belden 9913f and such with amphenol connectors using soldered ground braid and center conductor . i just ordered some from sparkys for my mobile . im not having problems with noise and im sure its over kill for my setup but it wasnt expensive and gives me a lil bragging rights lol . i may even sleep better after its in , hahaha . in your situation it may help reduce the noise . i doubt even great coax cant do miracles and you may need one the way your problem is going . good luck

Sounds like the same issues I have with my Peterbilt /Ascert c15 Cat set up. Believe me the RFI is coming through the antenna system , not the coax. Take the antennas off and the noise is gone. I have researched this for year and a half, so far not fixable.

By the way if you want you can create a air leak in your air to air system and the noise will diminish greatly but so will your manifold pressure and power. Just cost you a couple of gears in the hills. LOL

finally..wow i thought it was just me..thanks for all the help guys..tried a 1 in braided wire ant bracket to chasis..wilson 2000 or 5000 tried both.. chokes on any wire involved with fuel flow (fuel feed- fuel pump)..still have the awful noise...p.s. as an after thought mack installed some kind of box under the dash to catch the noise so you can hear A.M. radio channels without as much noise ,it is still there just not as bad as the noise in my c.b radio thanks again for all the help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.