• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extra Channels not working in 959

iceman78

Feb 15, 2009
I have a 959 with the 2 switch extra channel mod done. when the 2 switches are thrown (while on ch. 19) it is supposed to go to channel 50 (27.505). The strange thing is that it does this properly when the temperature is COLD. When it's hot outside, flipping the switches will put the radio anywhere between 27.425-27.495...just depends on what the radio feel like doing. I first noticed this problem while talking on 27.505 and during the coonversation the radio drifted down to 27.475 for no reason. I replaced the switches and that was no help. I tried reheating the legs on the PLL and no help either. The mod was done as per cbtricks.com utilizing the yellow & grey wires comming off the channel selector board. I did notice that one switch works properly and puts the radio on the correct channel according to the road map, but the other switch has a mind of its own. Not sure if it simply needs an alignment or what. this is really starting to get on my nerves so I'd be greatful for some good advice. Thanks in advance

I have a 959 with the 2 switch extra channel mod done. when the 2 switches are thrown (while on ch. 19) it is supposed to go to channel 50 (27.505). The strange thing is that it does this properly when the temperature is COLD. When it's hot outside, flipping the switches will put the radio anywhere between 27.425-27.495...just depends on what the radio feel like doing. I first noticed this problem while talking on 27.505 and during the coonversation the radio drifted down to 27.475 for no reason. I replaced the switches and that was no help. I tried reheating the legs on the PLL and no help either. The mod was done as per cbtricks.com utilizing the yellow & grey wires comming off the channel selector board. I did notice that one switch works properly and puts the radio on the correct channel according to the road map, but the other switch has a mind of its own. Not sure if it simply needs an alignment or what. this is really starting to get on my nerves so I'd be greatful for some good advice. Thanks in advance

Get inside there with yer pointy knife...
err, no...

Sounds like something is touching a couple of the pins of the PLL together at certain temperatures. Disconnect power, take off the lids and inspect where the wires are soldered on underneath the PLL. Bet you'll find your problem.

Oh, check where your wires are soldered to the switch that sticks out the side of your radio, too... an end may be frayed and touching another pad on the switch or the chassis of the radio...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.