• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

extreme n00b question

Remo

Sep 1, 2009
im a non HAM with a question.

is there a hand held ham unit that can RX/TX on 11 meters?

id like something small that i can use to talk on the cb band, but also listen to as much as i can. someone said you can use a handheld much like a scanner, and listen to local police, fire, ems, what have you, as long as you had the freq's. is that true?

can they also pick up local AM/FM radio stations? and by that i mean, your everyday, turn on the car radio kinda thing.

i guess to make my question short.... what are the Freq's on AM, and Freq's on FM that a handheld unit can RX/TX on ?

Forget it; they don't...none that I am aware of...most of them are 2m/440mhz radios.
If you want an 11 meter handheld radio - there are plenty to be found on eBay. Even handheld 2m Ham radios still only put out 5 watts just like the handheld CB radios do. Handheld antennas can only handle so much much bandwidth to operate; they cannot do the 11m on a single, cheesey little antenna. They barely work on 2m/440mhz!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated