• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fan dipole

wavrider

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 2, 2009
How much of a compromise is this multiband antenna?

Friend of mine in a small lot is taking his exam this month, level three is the goal. So to get him on the air on the HF side of the house I thought about a fan dipole.

I have never used one, never talked to anyone on the bands that was running one.

Most contacts were G5RV or Windoms, just curious as to if anyone has built/used this fan dipole and how is the performance of it for tx/rx.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Fan dipoles work GREAT. I run one myself. Much better than a G5RV anytime. (G5rv is a monoband antenna.) Fan Dipoles take a bit more time to tune as all elements will interact, but it is well worth the effort. (Start with lowest band and tune up from there.) Like any antenna, construction and installation determine the end result.

I agree with 'packrat', a fan dipole does work. It tends to work as well as the amount of effort put into it's construction and tuning. Do both of those thingys close to 'right', and it performs very well. It's a lot like stacking monoband beams on a tower, with a few "but's" thrown in, sort of. ;)
The placement of the 'legs' of each dipole works 'best' if they are as far apart as possible. Meaning that two dipoles would be at 90 degrees from each other. If more than just two dipoles, then as far apart as possible, sort of 'fan' them out (and where the name comes from). That's all well and good if you've got that much open area and supports for each leg of that fan-dipole. One 'catch' with that is that people typically don't have that much room. So, you place all those 'legs' closer together. A separation of a couple'a few inches works. The closer those legs ar e to each other, the 'pickier' the tuning though, since they tend to interact more.
The closer two (or more) antennas are in relation to frequency, or in harmonic relations, the more they interact. Some antennas for one band can be used on another band without much problems. Those tend to act 'oddly' when used in a fan-dipole. The ones that don't work well on other bands tend to work very well together in a fan-dipole. Is that a biggy? Not really, just be aware of it as a possible reason for 'things' not working as expected sometimes.
And as with any antenna, get the thing as high as possible for the situation. I wouldn't expect it to be very directional, most people can't typically get that kind'a height.
All the other things about dipoles apply too. maybe the most important one of those 'things' is to make the thing out of pink insulated wire. It tends to radiate better. An electron sees where it came out of and gets as far as possible from it as quickly as possible to keep from being embarrassed! Makes sense to me.
- 'Doc

(There may be some 'rocket science' involved in antennas, but it's more a 'bottle-rocket' thingy than an 'Atlas Booster', sort of.)

Well, since the pink side electrons would be faster, you might want to put the end of that white leg on a swivel. 'Whirling' polarization...
- 'Doc

SO,

Pink wire is negative polarity, white wire is circular polarized and have to connect it with a barrel swivel from the tackle box so it does not get knocked up errr I mean twisted up during the circular effect?

So will the pink wire be useless one week out of the month or is there certain tuning techniques I can use to prevent that happening?

Thanks for the replies and the "twists" on the wire

A lot depends upon the solar flares.

Oh now you are throwing hot flashes into the mix, this fan dipole thing is becoming an adventure, reverse polarity, pink wires, twisted cables and now hot flashes:eek:

will give it a whirl, doing some more research on a serious note, have seen where some fandipoles are suspended with there legs and the feed point is in the center of open air, like a true fan or wagon wheel per say.

Google Image Result for http://www.signals.taunus.de/IMAGES/Marlow_fan-dipole-closup.jpg

Link to German military post for communications, has anyone mounted their fan dipole in this configuration instead of the feed point being supported?

thanks

I prefer the rotatable curtain array over the fan dipole. :whistle:

http://www.signals.taunus.de/IMAGES/Marlow_curtain-array.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]ERROR 403 - ACCESS DENIED![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Unfortunately your request could not be fulfilled at this time. This can have a variety of reasons:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

A)
Your IP-address belongs to an IP-range frequently used by "spammers" and "bad bots"[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]B) Your IP-address uses a forged PTR-record[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]C) Your IP has been blacklisted due to site ripping/attempted site ripping

NOTE
: the use of offline browsing tools like "DISCo Pump", "Download Master", "FlashGet",
"HTTrack", "PageNest", "Teleport", "WebCopier", "Wget" etc. will result in a
permanent ban!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]D[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]) Your client uses an inadequate identification string[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] E) You are entering the site via an unwanted referrer[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] F) You are entering the site using a blocked proxy server
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
If none of the above mentioned criteria apply and you feel you are being blocked by accident, please
feel free
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]to send me an e-mail using the subject "ERROR 403" and I will investigate further.

(Remember to use ONLY that specific subject line in order to make sure your e-mail passes my spam filter![/FONT] )[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Additionally, please remember to include[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]the following information with your request:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
1)
Date and time in UTC/GMT when you tried to access the site[/FONT]
(local time is useless!)
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] 2) External IP-range or the exact IP your ISP assigned to you while trying to access the site

[/FONT]!!! Please note that any requests to access the website that do not contain the above mentioned info, will be ignored !!!

Unsure what your current IP-address is?
Click here to find out your IP-address that shows up in the log of remote web servers!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Click here to launch your e-mail client with the correct subject line and a sample text that just needs to be completed
by adding your individual data

My e-mail address is
[SIZE=-1](use only the first letters in red of each phonetic word, to form the e-mail address!):[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Lima Echo India Fox [/SIZE]DOT [SIZE=-1]Delta Echo Hotel India Oscar [/SIZE]AT [SIZE=-1]November Echo Tango Sierra Uniform Romeo Fox [/SIZE]DOT [SIZE=-1]Delta Echo[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

Thanks for visiting & have a nice day![/FONT]

Webmaster

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]www.signals.taunus.de[/SIZE][/FONT]

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.