• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

Finding old transistors

ChrisDel157

Apr 21, 2020
mass, soon to be Georgia
One of the hardest (or most frustrating) part of just fixing a radio has to be looking for parts for older radios. I know Dbay (you know what I mean) has parts here and there for different prices and locations with shipping options but who can you trust these days for older transistors? I've used digikey for some and I've also come up short simply because (and I'm sure most of you know this) the parts are obsolete or discontinued. Does any know of a few trustworthy sites to use without going to Dbay? I've also tried some "equivalent" (as they say) pieces, just to read the data sheet and see it doesn't compare. (I'm guessing that's my lack of knowledge ) sorry if this seems petty to some, just looking to not blow up my old stock of radios that I own that need service. Thanks everyone in advance! Chris

Monk

May 6, 2005
One of the hardest (or most frustrating) part of just fixing a radio has to be looking for parts for older radios. I know Dbay (you know what I mean) has parts here and there for different prices and locations with shipping options but who can you trust these days for older transistors? I've used digikey for some and I've also come up short simply because (and I'm sure most of you know this) the parts are obsolete or discontinued. Does any know of a few trustworthy sites to use without going to Dbay? I've also tried some "equivalent" (as they say) pieces, just to read the data sheet and see it doesn't compare. (I'm guessing that's my lack of knowledge ) sorry if this seems petty to some, just looking to not blow up my old stock of radios that I own that need service. Thanks everyone in advance! Chris

Monk

May 6, 2005
Hi,

Buy a NTE cross reference book from a NTE dealer of off of the web. There is a lot of information in it. You can use it to find something close if you have some transistors on hand or check to see if they will work in place of the ones you have.

sunbulls

Apr 25, 2017
There are cases where an exact replacement might be preferable, but that also holds true with a substituted part. At first, I’d be more concerned about updating the old electrolytic capacitors. Transistors usually don’t go bad by themselves. When you do find a bad transistor, all associated parts in that circuit need to be checked before going further. Don’t be afraid to make a transistor substitution. In most cases there are many subs to be found that are equal, if not better. As suggested, use a substitution guide, and if possible use an American distributor. Also, feel free to ask about any particular part on this forum.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ kopcicle:
    Anyway , all my hopes and hope you all are well
  • @ ExitThirteen:
    woid.
  • @ kopcicle:
    gnorph ?
  • @ WillyB123:
    Zorfnolp
  • @ WillyB123: