• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Firestick 2 Question

kd-5-bgt

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 10, 2007
Joplin Missouri area
I have been once again looking at the Firestick 2 mobil antenna for a 10 meter antenna for my truck.

What I am wondering is if the Firestick 2 will tune to 10 meters.

That antenna has a tuning set screw in the top of the antenna,makes tuning a breeze, and easier is better for me :)

I have used this antenna during my freebanding days from years ago and I had great results.

I like this antenna a lot also, in particular the 5 ft. model.

I have found it to be very usefull in problem installs, those like fiberglass vans
and soft top jeeps ect.

Back in the days when I was testing and replacing antennas each day in the mobil
I found myself always coming back to the Firestick 11.

With that said, It is in fact a CB antenna and yes it is great for a Export radio.

Problem with it being usefull for 10 meters, It is to long, and after removing the
screw thats as short as it will get.

Making it a longer antenna for the low side is easy!! just use a longer screw.

You could Butcher it up by unwinding some turns from the top after removing
the brass insert, However I believe better choices are available and some are from
Firestick..

I am sure others will give you some thoughts on Ham Sticks designed for 10 meters.

BTW, I found a antenna that works for me and it is a custom made Slingblade antenna
that I have been using for years. Very broad banded antenna and of course that means
it is also a low Q antenna..

I doubt that I will install a true amature radio in my mobil, however if I make it thru
another sunspot cycle then I might replace my 2950DX that was stolen :(

Best Regards,
John

Last edited:
Butchering the antenna is out of the question,that would be a bad thing.

The Hamstick is a good choice,I have heard alot of good about that setup ,and had let that one slip my mind.

Thanks Dealer,*smiles* I will see what others have to say as well

Do you have a height restriction for the antenna? Ten meters is a high enough frequency you could just take a piece of good-quality stainless rod and cut it to length and put a screw-in stud on one end. Same idea: take a 102" CB whip and cut it down a bit. Use an antenna analyzer with the antenna mounted where it will be used. Cut in small increments until you get the results you want.

No height restriction at all here Beetle as long as a plane or the space shuttle dont take down my tower when they fly over (if I had a tower) :D .I live in the back woods.

The 102 whip is a good idea to use on 10 meter base as a dipole set up as long as the ends dont droop to badly creating a swr problem,but I was thinking for mobile use in my truck.

The reason I was asking is I have easy access to the Firestick at a couple of local truck stops in my area,the usual ham gear I would have to order and get shipped to me.Not to mention the cost issues

Dealer I hate to hear of your 2950 being stolen,those are nice rigs,I had one myself modded for the freeband years ago,really liked it

Thanks for the input guys .......

If the truck stop is an actual firestik dealer you can ask them to order one from firestik

http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/TM3-TM4.htm

This is only the 10 meter Firestik 4 foot antenna, but I could have sworn that Firestik makes a 6 foot CB antenna so they may not have everything listed. You could call Firestik, they dont respond to their emails :thumbdown:

Firestik Antenna Company • 2614 E Adams St • Phoenix, Arizona 85034-1495
Tel: 602•273•7151

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.