• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Firestik or Wilson?

JDWilbourn

Feb 10, 2007
Huntsville Al
1st Hello all "The WorldWide Radio Forum"
To give a short history. Been driving truck since "97" and listening and talking on one for more yrs than that. I have always heard this and that, "he does this and they do that", "you cant do that" but he sounds loud doing what ever he is doing kinds of arguing. I have heard that an antenna is nothing more than a piece of wire and I cant quote the math but it = 103" I think. So other than bragging or "Its cool", What is the difference? I dont plan on super dupper over MOD peaked and tuned or running amps yet anyways. Should I go with either of these fiberglass ones that I tune the tips manully for under $20?

Most mobile antennas are some form of a loaded 1/4 wave antenna. What I mean by "loaded" is that some form of coil is used to make a short antenna electrically 102" long.

Some coil designs are better than others and therefore perform better than others.

The next factor is where that coil is located. Top loading (coil at the top of the antenna) are better than coils at the bottom. Most trucker antennas are center loaded. Even though the Firestik antennas are top loaded, the center loaded Wilson Trucker Series is a better design.

Nothing beats a full size 1/4 wave antenna but the length is unreasonable for most applications. So we get loaded antennas.

I'm a big fan of the Wilson antennas and would only consider the Penetrator 10K as a improvement.

I'm a big fan of the Wilson antennas and would only consider the Penetrator 10K as a improvement.

i say Ditto indeed

JDWilbourn said:
Wilson fibergalss w/manual tuning? Or did you mean the 1000,2000,5000?
1000,2000,5000,are the different models or makes they have
1000 is a magnet mount only and is a great choice for your normal everyday daily driver
2000 is a centerloaded antenna coil in middle most truckes have these mounted on thier mirriors.
5000 goes both way they make it in a centeredload designed
suppose to handle more watts than the trucker2000.they also
make a magnet version aswell this one is base loaded coil At
bottom same as the 1000.only difference the 5000 coil is bigger also has mini8 or rg8x coax.this antenna is also a good
antenna for everyday use
from what ive learned about the preador10k its probaly a little
better.i dunno never had one though.my wilson5k on my mobile
ive talked all over dx and locally up to 30plus miles out of a uniden grant.so a wilson is definately a great start.id stay away from ANYradio shack antenna except the 102inch whip

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated