• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Free Online Audio Tone Generator !!

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
We tinkerer's are always needing a good 'ol 1khz tone occasionally for tune ups.

Have been thinking about this for a while but only remembered today to actually go a look for one. Came right up 1st thing on the googlemeister. Free fast easy download audio tone generator array. Even places an Icon on yer desktop. Works great. Even puts up a 1khz tone first thing on the screen when you bring it up! Must have had us radio types in mind :whistle:

Tone Generator Software - Audio Test Tone Generator Download

Hey that's pretty useful. To use it, you probably still have to come up with a way to measure the output voltage of your signal, though. I guess a DMM on AC setting would probably do it?

That sofware can generate just about everything. Now I can start testing out that brown tone theory :eek:

Yeah hope this will help some folks out. Will certainly help me. I don't do any full blown tech work but just for simple peak and tune where one could use a constant audio tone this will do the trick. Very easy for me as I have the computer right next to the radio setup so I can simple play the desired tone right out the computer speakers and into the radio mic.

Also....some say sadly....is also another weapon in my noise toy arsenal
84.gif

Speaking of noise toys....

also free online is a decently extensive Sound Effects array at Free And Easy Software Downloads | Freeze Lot's of animal sounds...all kinds of stuff.

Have fun!

This comes in handy for setting bias on a transistor HF rig.
You can insert the 2575 hz tone into the mic jack while monitoring the trapezoid waveform on a scope for observation.

Very nice tool.
Good find Wire Weasle.

Been using tone generators from NCH for several years now. This is the best one of the lot. The two tone feature is really nice for checking SSB gear. Some previous versions would not allow both tones to be generated at the same time but would sweep from one to the other. This version makes working on SSB much easier especially when checking pep power levels.

Been using tone generators from NCH for several years now. This is the best one of the lot. The two tone feature is really nice for checking SSB gear. Some previous versions would not allow both tones to be generated at the same time but would sweep from one to the other. This version makes working on SSB much easier especially when checking pep power levels.

One reason I love my old Kenwood SM-220 :)

Uh....yeah. More on noise toys....

Another really fun deal is a midimapper or, in English, a musical instrument generator. These are also free downloads. Just Google. There are many several on the net. Midi is a music industry engineering term for an electronic synthesizer. These midi generators are built into the portable keyboards you see and is why they are capable of making the sounds of numerous different instruments...not just piano. So they have the same thing as a program for computer. It brings up a screen with a piano keyboard on it and you click on the keyboard keys with your mouse. Most programs with have a variety of parameters where you can change tones, speeds, pitches and so on. The one I downloaded has 128 ! different "instruments" on it from many styles of piano, organs, guitars, horns, violins and many several oddball things.

All this adds up to one heckofa CB noise toy generator.

Just Google "midi mapper" or " musical instrument generator" ect... and it will find numerous selections. Most all are freebies

Good clean fun....yeah

mocantina.gif

.... Very easy for me as I have the computer right next to the radio setup so I can simple play the desired tone right out the computer speakers and into the radio mic.

Also....some say sadly....is also another weapon in my noise toy arsenal
84.gif

Speaking of noise toys....

also free online is a decently extensive Sound Effects array at Free And Easy Software Downloads | Freeze Lot's of animal sounds...all kinds of stuff.

Have fun!

err,...... i don't wanna give ya any "ideas' (wink,wink, nudge,nudge) but,..........

there is an easier (and better) method for getting audio into your rig. just build/buy/ect an interface like one used for any soundcard program (PSK, SSTV, ect) and use that. it will key/unkey the rig and the audio is "clean".

it will transmit ANY computer generated audio:whistle::whistle:

err,...... i don't wanna give ya any "ideas' (wink,wink, nudge,nudge) but,..........

there is an easier (and better) method for getting audio into your rig. just build/buy/ect an interface like one used for any soundcard program (PSK, SSTV, ect) and use that. it will key/unkey the rig and the audio is "clean".

it will transmit ANY computer generated audio:whistle::whistle:

Agreed however there are some times when you have to have the audio injected via the microphone jack such as adjusting the microphone audio level and EQ circuits and making sure the levels in the audio chain are set to proper levels to properly modulate the radio. Injecting the audio via an aux jack sometimes bypasses a lot of the normal microphone audio chain.

That SM-220 would look much better with my TS-820S than with your IC-745. :whistle:

The 220 never made it to the ham radio desk. It has become part of my test equipment bench. I find myself using it so much since I work on 5 to 9 HF rigs per week. But this week end that may change. I just bought a new o-scope that has a digital display. So I am going to be using it more. I am also looking at a diffent method of tone generation.

But you are right, it would look good with your 820:love:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.