• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM-350 vs TM-D710

redneckdan

Jun 27, 2010
Hi, I'm a relatively new ham and I'm looking at setting up a mobile for use on my motorcycle. I've been doing a lot of reading and I really want to get into APRS, I'd like a radio with a built in TNC and I plan to use my garmin 60CSx for the GPS module. Which radio would be the best bet? The FTM-350 or the TM-D710? If I remember correctly, the 710 feeds info back to the garmin, the 350 doesn't... The 710 can digipeat, the 350 can't... Really the only thing i found that discourages me from the 710 is that some of the earlier radios were kind of flaky as far as problems with operation but that seems to have been cleared up. Which radio would ya'll recomend?

If you're set on using your Garmin as the GPS or want to digipeat then you're talking the D-710 because it's the only one that can do both of those things.

Neither 'sends' data back to the GPS, it's a one-way street as far as the GPS is concerned. Both radios display the information received from that GPS, position, height, speed, etc.
I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend. There are also other ways of sending an APRS signal not requiring a radio. Try looking here;
Byonics -

I also have a Micro-Tracker which is a stand alone thingy, doesn't tie up a radio. It also is programable to send information the typical 2 meter APRS capable radios don't. Lots of interesting things there.
- 'Doc

As was said, if you want to use the GPS unit you already have, you will want the Kenwood. The Yaesu FTM-350 only uses it's own GPS.

D710

I run the Yaesu FTM-350 in my car and love it, but I understand from a friend who uses the D700 and D710 that he can output positions of other radios to the Garmin GPS he uses where the Garmin is receiving positions from the Radio/TNC.... (contrary to what's said below). I thought this was the whole idea of the AVMAP device they have moounted in HRO right above the 710??

Neither 'sends' data back to the GPS, it's a one-way street as far as the GPS is concerned. Both radios display the information received from that GPS, position, height, speed, etc.
I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend. There are also other ways of sending an APRS signal not requiring a radio. Try looking here;
Byonics -

I also have a Micro-Tracker which is a stand alone thingy, doesn't tie up a radio. It also is programable to send information the typical 2 meter APRS capable radios don't. Lots of interesting things there.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.