1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy 98 VHP question.

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by King Mudduck, Dec 2, 2007.

1. King Mudduck

King Mudduck FEAR THE DUCK!

Has anyone seen an add on fan kit for this radio? A friend has one and it tends to get really hot!

2. Butcher318

Butcher318 Active Member

Thats what happens when you stuff four 1446's into a radio case. It already has two internal fans. I'm still surprised that these new 4 pill Connex and Galaxy radio's aren't burning up right and left.

3. GRTS

GRTS Galaxy Tech

Even though the DX98VHP uses eight IRF520 mosfets and not 1446 bipolars it can still run pretty hot. However if the deadkey on the radio does not exceed 70 watts and there is plenty of air circulation below the bottom heatsink you will be fine. The bottom heatsink with dual internal fans is large enough to dissipate the heat generated by the eight IRF520 mosfets.

If the rear heatsink is getting hot then you will want to realign the radio mosfets because they are drawing too much current. If somebody has turned up the bias on the driver too high it might be damaged and need to be replaced.

The most frequent problem we've seen with the DX98VHP models so far is "destruction by tweaker".

8)

4. bigred222

bigred222 Key Up City Radio

See ray some people just dont know.

From One Galaxy fan to another 73's ray
    202 workin this 2547 is on the side.

5. King Mudduck

I dont have a clue as to whats been done to it. The one thing i found hard to believe is that he is seeing 300 + watts out of it. I did not think that they were capable of that much and also the key is set at 60 watts.

Also. After the radio warms up the echo sounds funky. It's hard to describe but it just does not sound right. Kinda sounds like some one is bending a note on an electric guitar.....like the way Jimi Hendrix did on the song Watchtower.

6. Butcher318

Butcher318 Active Member

Bigred, I'm a Galaxy and Magnum fan. You don't have to be a radio tech to figure out these new breed super high powered radio's are going to run HOT. I think the new 94 is the best of the bunch. Most truck drivers like to rachet jaw and stay on the key, combine that with these shops that like to squeeze every last watt out of a Galaxy 98 and Connex 4300-300 and I think we all know how hot those radio's will get.

7. bigred222

I hear ya butcher. If i were to buy one. I wouldnt open it for more than to do the dang freq conversion and thats it.

CALI DELTA XRAY 202 WORKIN THIS GALAXY BASE STATION

8. GRTS

GRTS Galaxy Tech

The "Watch Tower" sound was done with distortion from a Wha Wha pedal. It's still used today by many guitarist. When you remove the modulation transistor or AMC limiter in these radios it increases distortion on the echo, talkback and your modulated signal making you sound like crap. The inexperienced ear will tell you how loud you are but in reality just like the Wha Wha pedal, too much of a good thing sounds bad.

9. bigred222

ROGER THAT RAY

10. King Mudduck

He swears that it has not been clipped. Also.....Are these thing really capable of 300+ watts?

11. BIONIC_TEXAN88

BIONIC_TEXAN88 Active Member

I just got in a 94hp second hand that used 4 fets and I am seeing 110w pep on my palstar, just for reference.

12. bigred222

cool texan.

13. GRTS

GRTS Galaxy Tech

No

The International Rectifier brand IRF520 mosfets that you'll see in the Galaxy Radios are good for approximately 25 to 30 watts of peak power each in the 25mhz to 28mhz range. So knowing this you can do the math for peak power.

DX98VHP with (8) IRF520s = 200-240 watts peak.
    DX94HP with (4) IRF520s = 100-120 watts peak.
    DX33HP with (2) IRF520s = 50-60 watts peak.

-Ray

14. King Mudduck

So someone has been monkeying with the limiters or his meter is a little off.

15. bigred222

If i bought one the only thing i would do to it would be the frequency conversion. Anyone else with me?