• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 98 VHP question.

Thats what happens when you stuff four 1446's into a radio case. It already has two internal fans. I'm still surprised that these new 4 pill Connex and Galaxy radio's aren't burning up right and left.

Butcher318 said:
Thats what happens when you stuff four 1446's into a radio case. It already has two internal fans. I'm still surprised that these new 4 pill Connex and Galaxy radio's aren't burning up right and left.

Even though the DX98VHP uses eight IRF520 mosfets and not 1446 bipolars it can still run pretty hot. However if the deadkey on the radio does not exceed 70 watts and there is plenty of air circulation below the bottom heatsink you will be fine. The bottom heatsink with dual internal fans is large enough to dissipate the heat generated by the eight IRF520 mosfets.

If the rear heatsink is getting hot then you will want to realign the radio mosfets because they are drawing too much current. If somebody has turned up the bias on the driver too high it might be damaged and need to be replaced.

The most frequent problem we've seen with the DX98VHP models so far is "destruction by tweaker".

8)

I dont have a clue as to whats been done to it. The one thing i found hard to believe is that he is seeing 300 + watts out of it. I did not think that they were capable of that much and also the key is set at 60 watts.

Also. After the radio warms up the echo sounds funky. It's hard to describe but it just does not sound right. Kinda sounds like some one is bending a note on an electric guitar.....like the way Jimi Hendrix did on the song Watchtower.

Bigred, I'm a Galaxy and Magnum fan. You don't have to be a radio tech to figure out these new breed super high powered radio's are going to run HOT. I think the new 94 is the best of the bunch. Most truck drivers like to rachet jaw and stay on the key, combine that with these shops that like to squeeze every last watt out of a Galaxy 98 and Connex 4300-300 and I think we all know how hot those radio's will get.

King Mudduck said:
I dont have a clue as to whats been done to it. The one thing i found hard to believe is that he is seeing 300 + watts out of it. I did not think that they were capable of that much and also the key is set at 60 watts.

Also. After the radio warms up the echo sounds funky. It's hard to describe but it just does not sound right. Kinda sounds like some one is bending a note on an electric guitar.....like the way Jimi Hendrix did on the song Watchtower.

The "Watch Tower" sound was done with distortion from a Wha Wha pedal. It's still used today by many guitarist. When you remove the modulation transistor or AMC limiter in these radios it increases distortion on the echo, talkback and your modulated signal making you sound like crap. The inexperienced ear will tell you how loud you are but in reality just like the Wha Wha pedal, too much of a good thing sounds bad.

King Mudduck said:
He swears that it has not been clipped. Also.....Are these thing really capable of 300+ watts?

No

The International Rectifier brand IRF520 mosfets that you'll see in the Galaxy Radios are good for approximately 25 to 30 watts of peak power each in the 25mhz to 28mhz range. So knowing this you can do the math for peak power.

DX98VHP with (8) IRF520s = 200-240 watts peak.
DX94HP with (4) IRF520s = 100-120 watts peak.
DX33HP with (2) IRF520s = 50-60 watts peak.

-Ray

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated