1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy dx44v question

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Boonie, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Boonie

Boonie Member

I bought a galaxy 44 yesterday from a friend of mine for 50 bucks. i have heard of the 10 meter radios but know nothing about them. How do i use it? and should i have bought it. he said it was about 15 years old. I am going out this morning and hook it up to make sure it still works.

2. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

good radio. BUT cant talk on all the bads. cause thier ham bands.
    if the radio been converted put it on 19 on high band and either band d or e
    is cb. you should be able to notice a difference.

3. Boonie

Boonie Member

What happens if i try to talk on ham bands? And how do i know if it has been converted? the guy i bought it from said to put a 20 amp fuse in the holder. for some reason but all i had was a 2 amp and it burned it out after a couple of minutes. The manual says 4 amp what should i put in it? He said it had somekind of special somthing done to it:unsure:

4. Robb

Robb Yup

5. VA3ES

VA3ES Old Buzzard

Galaxy DX44V Channel chart

Galaxy DX44V Channel Chart Bands A- H

You really don't want to talk on 10M without a licence. Pisses off the hams, and attracts too much attention to your station. If your radio has been modified, just use bands A through F and you'll be OK.

The complete dope on the Galaxy DX44V: CBTricks.com

6. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Ditto on VA3`s Post, all true dat.
    It will get you plenty of UN wanted attention from the guys that do have a license to talk up there
    It very legal to listen to ten meters with your new radio,
    you will find that most of the voice work is in the 28.300 to 28.500 frequency range using USB mode and if you find it interesting, I encourage you to study the info that is readily available on the net, and take the Tech test on a weekend.
    Then you can talk on ten meters and a whole lot more!
    On the Fuse, if the manual calls for a 4 amp fuse, I would start there.I understand that you have been told that "something was done" to the radio, but i doubt it will be pulling gobs of amps unless something major has been changed.

OPPS!
    On re-reading the post, I see it is a AM/FM only rig, soo that scratches the part about SSB, You will not find much AM activity on Ten until you get up around 29.000, and FM simplex is up even higher.

Jeff

#6 AudioShockwav, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. VA3ES

VA3ES Old Buzzard

:eek: Ewwww! Well.... I'm not sure who you're going to talk to with that rig! No SSB, huh? :thumbdown: It doesn't even cover the AM or FM parts of 10M. Not that much AM above 27.405. :headbang
    Dunno whatchu gonna do? :confused:

8. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

high band E =cb band

9. kwikstang1

kwikstang1 Member

Had 2. A great Galaxy radio. Would definitely buy another one, especially for 50 bucks...

10. Boonie

Boonie Member

well i took it to the guy that works on all my radios and he said it works great. all we did was put a meter in it. so i will be useing it as a base station for now. all i need is a antenna and i will be set.. and a 636l mic.

11. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Well-Known Member

Quote" VA3ES said,Ewwww! Well.... I'm not sure who you're going to talk to with that rig! No SSB, huh? :thumbdown: It doesn't even cover the AM or FM parts of 10M. Not that much AM above 27.405. :headbang
    Dunno whatchu gonna do?

Well the ARRL Band Plan is only a Suggestion & it is NOT Law.Just like CW other modes can be used across the bands just like many use the opposite side band on some bands.You may not make many friends but you would not be breaking any laws other than the radio is an Export CB & not legal on any band in the USA on any mode.

SIX-SHOOTER

12. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

Six this is an 8 year old thread, and VA3ES has not been on the forum for 4 years and 20 weeks. If you click on a members name it will tell you when the last time was that they were logged on.