• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn base questions

DRM1983

Jul 12, 2005
was wondering if the either the REC(recorder) or freq counter jacks on the back of the radio can be used to key an amplifier(sb-220)???

also...what is the normal output for this radio???

and how to change the internal memory battery or how to do a
2 AA battery mod???

if its just the saturn it is capable of 40 watts or so pep and if its the saturn turbo its a 100 watt radio it will do more but i wouldnt suggest this without running it off a seperate outboard power supply of 35 amps or so. as i said there were 2 models one has a display like the galaxy 88 - 99 and one looks like the 2950 layout in a base version and that one is the 100 watt model (Saturn Turbo)

Reactions: NZ8N
LMAO I was gonna say hey if you can or know someone that has a mod for the SATURN and dual final chassisl to hit 250 im sending them all the ones i have here LOL exspecially my 2527!!

Justin got 250 out of my Eagle 5000 (2990 clone) with the original 2290s. The final product was closer to 200 after he did some upgrades to the final amp. He reworked the bias if I remember correctly, but don't quote me. Either way, it dropped in power a bit but sure cleaned up the output!! Too bad he doesn't work on radios anymore!

Still, I'd much rather have a Galaxy 2527 and run an amp. 200+ watts out of these RCI/GALAXY radios is just too much for the so-so power supply!

DRM1983 said:
was wondering if the either the REC(recorder) or freq counter jacks on the back of the radio can be used to key an amplifier(sb-220)???

also...what is the normal output for this radio???

and how to change the internal memory battery or how to do a
2 AA battery mod???

Yes, either jack could be rewired to remotely key an amp. The 150-200 watts already quoted is normal for a base with built-in amp, or around 40-50 PEP for a standard dual-final base.

For the battery, just pull the original, and wire in a dual "AA" or dual "AAA" battery holder in its place, hot to hot, ground to ground.

thanks for the reply guys,good info....

yes,this is the "saturn turbo"...it does about 130w 150w on a de-2000 meter....which is fine for me....it gets good reports am/ssb on the air...

the "key board circuit" is very interesting to me since i own a sb-220....it is hard to find any 11m amp that comes equipt with a "key board circut"

i dont think i would trust myself or any CB shop in central ohio to do it????

i gues i can only wish,lol

if its just the saturn it is capable of 40 watts or so pep and if its the saturn turbo its a 100 watt radio it will do more but i wouldnt suggest this without running it off a seperate outboard power supply of 35 amps or so. as i said there were 2 models one has a display like the galaxy 88 - 99 and one looks like the 2950 layout in a base version and that one is the 100 watt model (Saturn Turbo)
Any infor on where the brown wire is to discconect amplifier is ?

On the main circuit board, the transmitter driver transistor is bolted to the heat sink at the far left rear. Just towards the front from that transistor is a two-pin plug inserted onto two pins in the circuit board. Can't remember the callout number for it.

One of the two pins is the trigger wire to key the amplifier. The other one is ground. A quick continuity test to ground with your meter will tell you which is which.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.