• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GMRS Base Station

capt205

Jun 15, 2005
Florida
I know that there are better choices, but here is my question. Is there a small GMRS or GMRS/FRS base station that is worth a d**n?
I will be using this at our place in Breckenridge CO. 1/2 way up the mountain to be able to talk to guest at our place who are up on the mountain skiing. Many guest/friends bring these radios with them, and we also have a dozen or so that we keep at the house. I'm looking for something to keep on the counter, and also add an external antenna (I know, I know). I guess a mobile radio on a power supply is also an option.

Any suggestions? Using different modes and/or services not an option, due to how common these radios are. Not looking to be a pirate, as I actually sent in my $$$ for the GMRS license. Just need a better recieving setup at the base.

You might try a Cabela's or Bass Pro catalog but to tell you the truth I was looking around for them on line and couldn't find anything for a base, I did check a Cabela's 2005 master catalog and they did not have a base listed.
You might want to check a 2006 catalog but I don't think they make them anymore, not much interest in them I guess, not with cell phones, and with walkie talkie features.
I see young kids, 10, 11 y.o. with them today, go figure?

Northstar speaks words of wisdom. Get a nice commercial Midland, Icom, Tekk, or whatever Uhf mobile, and a 15 or 20 amp power supply, you'll be much happier with that than the cheesey Audiovox / First Alert type stuff. You might want to get the programming software and cable for it so you can reprogram it yourself should you find the need...

hey there..

get a commercial Motorola or Icom
get a good 5/8 wave high gain for UHF
if a long run to antenna better get good coax..

i think GMRS is very under utilised
I think even better would be MURS set up..
but then you will need get a bunch of new MURS capible MURS as well..

but if you want to use a amp(i think on GMRS are allowed up to 50 watts) then it should work fairly well

good luck

Would these radios be called Land Mobile? I found some on the Icom and Midland sites, just not sure if I'm looking at the right radios.

I agree that a mobile radio on a power supply is probably the best option...any suggestions as to make and model. I have a couple of power supplies, so I'll take one out there next week. Just need to figure out which radio and antenna to get.

Also, the antenna can't be real big, what are my options there? I need it to be just big enough to do the job....talk up onto the mountain, and down into town better than the current handheld to handheld.

GMRSantennas are not that big..

I use a Comet GP-9
(made for 144-148 and 420-450 mhz)

but is a high gain antenna that still works very well on GMRS frequencys..

problem with most "speific" GMRS antennas are they typiclly are not high gain

for uhf frequencys i like to have at least 10 Dbd gain so i Know i will get out Extremly well Locally

Later

get a good 5/8 wave high gain for UHF
Don't get a 5/8 wave antenna! You will be much more happy with a 1/4 wave antenna which has a broader signal pattern. You don't need the gain in your application!

A cheap simple antenna that is small is the j-pole. You can make it out of 1/2" c_o_p_p_e_r pipe for about $20.00 max. Paint it BLACK so the sun will melt the snow off of it.

Just go here and plug in the frequency, 465.1375 (middle of the GMRS/FRS band)
http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html

Want to buy an antenna?
http://www.radiosonline.com/gmrsantennas.htm
(While you are here, scroll down the page and read this: "Other dealers try to sell me a higher DB gain antenna, why don't you recommend this?")

You could also contact Comtelco and find a local dealer. If no local dealer exists, ask to buy one directly! I recommend this one (BS450U-C).....
http://www.comtelcoantennas.com/PDF Datasheets/BS450U.pdf

See, easy!

Interesting note under Master Chief's link regarding "Higher gain antennas": "Our antennas are rated over a radiator in free space." Doesn't specify WHAT KIND of radiator, how long it is, etc.

Could be a radiator out of a 1951 Studebaker...

Beetle said:
"Our antennas are rated over a radiator in free space." Doesn't specify WHAT KIND of radiator, how long it is, etc.
Come on, its DBi, you knew that.....didn't you? Just in case you didn't, when you see the term "free space", it means DBi. As we all know (hopefully), free space doesn't exist here on earth, but it does level the playing field as far as comparing specs!

Beetle, I expect more out of you, being licensed and everything. ;)

Thanks guys, lots of good advise. I saw one of those c-o-p-p-e-r j poles at the last hamfest down here in December, but was only just thinking about pursueing my ham licenses, and had no idea what I was looking at.

Any suggestions on a no frills mobile, capable of the FRS/GMRS bands, or maybe just the GMRS if no FRS/GMRS mobiles are made.

Master Chief -

Dipoles IN FREE SPACE are also frequently used as reference antennas. My comment was regarding the term "radiator".

I expect more out of you, being Navy and all.

Hi...

I Disagree...
Although i fully know and understand free space/Dbi

it also levels the Playing field when using Dbd over Dipole..
More so...since there is a true stand to compare against instead of a Isopheric antenna..

oh and although a 1/4 wave is broader banded then a 5/8 wave
whether one is talking local or distance 5/8 always does better

now that we are talking GMRS aplications/frequency's..
I hope we all know these are simply line of sight (for most part)
Therefore Higher Gain is always desired and even needed if one wants to Know they will get though..

when i use my High Gain (at GMRS frequencys is about 10-11 Dbd gain) and whether i am talking a half mile or 80 miles away
i Know i will get though..

but in my case i do not have the problem of mountians being in the way..
i am in a city....where a 1/4 mile away i do have 2 buildings maybe 40 feet higher then my antenna....otherwise is about 3 miles before mahatten has any higher buildings..
as a result i easily sail over those minor hight obstructions..
and when i use the beam...forget about it...lol

even on 1.2 gig frequencys i can talk simplex 50 miles out at least (with a combination of hight and high Dbd gain antennas..

if i remember...

You said where you want to put the base or mobil-base radio
it will be half way up the mountian..

Now hight matters even more then Dbd Gain..
If you were on TOP of the Mountian...
Then i would say go with either the High Gain Db 5/8 wave antenna or a ok 1/4 wave low gain antenna..

If in your Aplication...
You at the base are higher then anyone else you would be talking to are...
then is still ok i suppose to use a low gain 1/4 wave..

if though others on those portable Blister Box GMRS radios are higher then you (sometimes or always) then sick with the 5/8 wave High Gain Dbd antenna..

the best ofcourse is to have both hight and High Gain Dbd antenna..

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated