• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

Good dummyload

KE5MC

Feb 8, 2009
Grapevine, TX
Good for me

Diamond DL30A

Fits my needs and expectation. I think MFJ makes one that looks like it. Air cooled with fins, pocket sized.

Not clear in most on-line adds what the power handling is. From the included Japanese/English insert.

15W Continuous
20W 5min. on/ 5min. off
50W 1min. on/ 3min. off
100W 30sec. on/ 5min. off

50ohms

VSWR 1.15(DC-500MHz)

Connector PL-259

Dimensions: 30mm dia x L75mm

What do some of you use?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
For lower power stuff I use the MFJ-264. Don't believe the rating you see. that is only for about half a minute or less from a cold start. It will handle 100 watts continuous.

DUMMY+MFJ264.JPG

For more demanding situations I use my homebrew load made from ten 500 ohm, 200 watt watt Globar resistors all mounted in a 12 quart stock pot and filled with silicone load oil. I must admit it is pretty sad when your tubes don't have handles but your dummy load does. :headbang This load is good for 2000 watts in air and God knows how much in the load oil. I figure it's good for 10Kw at least. It has had 4 Kw peak into it for 15 minutes straight and was only just beginning to get quite warm near the top.

dummyloadyt4.jpg

underthelidvv9.jpg

finishedloadnp8.jpg

flush

Mar 16, 2008
50th State
This is my big one. I called to get info on this one and they said it could do a lot more than the 600 for shorter times. 600cw all day.....

2011-08-12162638.jpg

CroMagnum

Dec 6, 2010
I use one of these I found on eBay:

sf7y1k.jpg

I modified mine by swapping the N-connector for an SO-239 and added some little rubber feet. 250 Watts continuous in free air for $30 delivered is not too bad.

GnG8d

Jun 28, 2010
Ohio
Would like something capible of 1000 watt avg 3000 pep

Take 2 MFJ264 loads and use a 75ohm cophase harness to run them in parallel. Or, just buy 4 of the resistors only from MFJ and run the 4 in series-parallel submerged in transformer oil, that ought to be good for close to 10kw and cost less then $300 or so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
    Sorry to hear you troubles, he is famous around here for his scams.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
  • @ kb9ghn:
    My first thought was the i.r.s. may be interested in a long term money making scam without proper taxes being paid..probably more than electronics involved.
  • @ Toll_Free:
    My first thought was why hasn't someone paid him a visit. I mean, his address is posted above.
  • @ beakster1715:
    Good news! I opened an appeal case after eBay sided with superhawkwss6. I also opened an IC3 case & sent that information to eBay. Within an hour they responded, reversed their decision and returned all of my money. Unfortunately, superhawkwss6 stole my CB radio and eBay will likely not suspend or close his account, but rather allow him to continue his criminal activity. I think I'll still file a report with our sheriff's dept (the sheriff is a friend of mine) though I know this type of crime isn't worth their time. This guy needs to be stopped and I'm certainly going to do my best to make that happen.