• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got my new vanity call sign this morning...

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
WX2MIG.....(y)

My original plan was to wait until I made "Extra", and go for a 2X1 call, and even though my choice was available...AM1G...the FCC only issues call signs here in the states from AA to AL, so any request for AM would have been denied.

Plan "B"...
I looked at W1MIG, and also W2MIG, but found they are both already issued...

Plan "C"...
I got to thinking, I've always been a weather bug, all my life I've always had an interest in the weather, it drives my wife crazy that I'll have The Weather Channel on all day, but that has more to do with the fact that other than the Weather Channel and the History Channel.....TV sucks.....

Anyway, the prefix of "Wx" has long been used to indicate weather, my call sign district is "2", and the first three letters in my long Eyetalian last name are "MIG", and I've been called Mig, my whole life.
So I put it all together and came up with "WX2MIG" and looked it up at QRZ...
Not issued.....(y)....so I jumped on it, applied last month, and today it was granted...

I'am no longer known as "N2ITH".....I'am now known as "WX2MIG"....

Reactions: Riverman

WX2MIG.....(y)

My original plan was to wait until I made "Extra", and go for a 2X1 call, and even though my choice was available...AM1G...the FCC only issues call signs here in the states from AA to AL, so any request for AM would have been denied.
Just so you know, AM belongs to Spain. It's not as if the FCC is holding out on you; they just aren't allowed give you a callsign that starts with AM. :)

Just so you know, AM belongs to Spain. It's not as if the FCC is holding out on you; they just aren't allowed give you a callsign that starts with AM. :)

I discovered that while researching the whole vanity call sign thing....

Being that my first name is Anthony and the first three lettlers of my last name are MIG, I thought it would be cool to have a call sign that read...AM1G...( it would look like A.MIG on a vehicle license plate)....;)

Guess I'll have to move to Spain before I can get that one.....:)

WX2MIG.....(y)

Plan "B"...
I looked at W1MIG, and also W2MIG, but found they are both already issued...

Plan "C"...
I got to thinking, I've always been a weather bug, all my life I've always had an interest in the weather, it drives my wife crazy that I'll have The Weather Channel on all day, but that has more to do with the fact that other than the Weather Channel and the History Channel.....TV sucks.....

Anyway, the prefix of "Wx" has long been used to indicate weather, my call sign district is "2", and the first three letters in my long Eyetalian last name are "MIG", and I've been called Mig, my whole life.
So I put it all together and came up with "WX2MIG" and looked it up at QRZ...
Not issued.....(y)....so I jumped on it, applied last month, and today it was granted...

I'am no longer known as "N2ITH".....I'am now known as "WX2MIG"....

If you are a DX Chaser the fewer letters the better but it's your choice.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I moved from several call districts over the years and changed my call sign accordingly. Since I don’t plan on moving again I don’t want to make the same embarrassing mistakes I’ve done in the past. Several times after changing my call sign I inadvertently blurted out my previous one. Be advised, such an occurrence will bring up suspicions of illegitimacy that will cause the podunk panic police to frantically search out QRZ and other sources for verification.:)

I moved from several call districts over the years and changed my call sign accordingly. Since I don’t plan on moving again I don’t want to make the same embarrassing mistakes I’ve done in the past. Several times after changing my call sign I inadvertently blurted out my previous one. Be advised, such an occurrence will bring up suspicions of illegitimacy that will cause the podunk panic police to frantically search out QRZ and other sources for verification.:)

If I am in my shack I check every call sign on QRZ.com and I have for years.I sometimes catch Technician Class Operators operating out of band and remind them of where they are and most say,Thanks and a few have gotten an attitude which I find quite Humorous.Some Stupid people just don’t care so I remind them over & over again. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: fogdog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.