• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Planes

4600turbo

Aug 27, 2006
I just got a old ground plane kit for HF vertical antenna and the radials are very old, and sun beaten. I was wondering if I could replace the radials with francis 5' antennas or larger. Are these radial just antennas? They look just like Francis antennas.

If they're not Francis's then can I panit them?

Those radials are just conductors of the proper length for the frequency of the antenna. They can be made from almost anything conductive. If you have a few Francis antennas and want to use them, have at it. Common aluminum tubing would work just as well.
Painting. If the paint isn't conductive it shouldn't make any difference at all.
- 'Doc

(Hot Pink works exceptionally well, I think!)

Should have added this, just forgot, sorry 'bout that.

You will probably have to do some 'tunning' of those Francis whip radials. No idea how difficult that would be. It will probably make them unusable for antennas without reversing that 'tunning' thingy. If they are 'trash' to start with you haven't lost anything. If they are still usable, I'm not too sure I'd do it. Up to you...

Last edited:
Francis antennas are 1/4 wave. and the a99 is 1/2 wave. Will that pose a problem? It's going to be used on 10m and 11m.

Also will length of the antennas or radials being used make a difference?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.