• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham is warned about "freebanding"

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
OK, boys! Some of you are screaming about the misdeeds of hams and complaining about them "freebanding". Well, THIS is what happens when a ham does that! Sooner or later he WILL get caught and have his license called into question. WHY someone will do that is a mystery to me! :? WHAT is the attraction when there is SO much MORE to radio than 11 Meters ?

***********************************************From: www.arrl.org and their "enforcement" page

May 3, 2006

RE: Application for Renewal of Amateur license KB2SGQ
William E. XXX
1118 Brinckerhoff Avenue
Utica, NY 13501

Dear Mr. KXXX:

Your application for renewal of the license for KB2SGQ, filed March 9, 2005, cannot be routinely granted and has been referred to the Enforcement Bureau for review.

On April 5, 2005, we issued a Warning Notice to you concerning operation without a license on 26.815 MHz, and resulting interference to the 10-meter amateur band. We continue to receive complaints that you operate on 26.815 MHz as well as 26.945 MHz.

Section 308(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, gives the Commission the authority to obtain information from applicants and licensees about the operation of their station. Accordingly, you are requested to respond to this letter within 20 days of receipt stating under what authority you have operated on 26.815 and 26.945 MHz. You may furnish any additional information that you feel would be relevant to this matter. In an inquiry of this type we are required to advise you that Congress has made punishable a willfully false or misleading reply. The information you submit will be used to determine what action to take on your application. See Title 18, Section 1001 of the United States Code.

We note also that your renewal application shows an address at Bayberry Lane in Whitesboro, but our information indicates that you reside at the Utica address. Please indicate your correct address. If you do not submit a timely reply to this letter, your application for renewal will be dismissed.

cc: FCC Northeastern Regional Director
[/u]

he is a tech, thats the best he can do as far as hf goes, his licence expired nov 2004 and he waited this long to renew it

This is a good example of why Tech class operators should try to get their General license. There would be no need to use the frequencies above and below the CB band.
You can satisfy your HF needs on 9 HF bands, and work practically any mode you want.
After all the effort I put into getting my licenses, I would not jeopardize losing them by working out of band.

Doesn't mean I can't still enjoy CB, because I do.
I talk to my local buds practically everyday on 37 lsb.
While most of the CB operators love the recent conditions, for us it interferes with our local QSOs, but we just stand by and let everyone have their fun.

If I want to work DX, I just flip out the Yaesu FT-847 and dial down to 20 or 40 meters, or even 10 meters with the current conditions :D

This is a perfect example of why the entry ticket needs to be changed, the techs should have a little bit of phone on a few of the bands. At least they should have phone on ten meters, even if it is just a few Khz's wide. And yes I'm talking about the no code guys, take a guy that has been talking all over the place on cb and then tell him he can only talk local fm, he ain't going to be happy for very long untill he goes back to what he has done before.

I can't wait to get on HF but with the Tech license you can talk DX on 2 and 6 meter SSB. It is fun and challenging. I just have a Hamstick dipole in the attic for 6 and it is neat to make contacts over 1000 miles away barefoot with my little setup. But for sure HF brings greater opportunities to contact greater distances and there seem to be bands open at most times on HF where 2 and 6 can be spotty.

if his license expired in 2004, then he was still just a CB'er.

Here I thought this was gonna be our token ham bust thread.

And CW, if there was no 11-meter, whatever would you do with all your time? Have you forgotten how more to life there is than harrasing a bunch of 11-meter operators?

I have to say, I find some amusement in it.

Some places, you can call names, cuss, insult. But none of that get soooo many PO'd.

If I wanted to PO alot of radio guys, I'd do the same thing, sit back and chuckle.

C2 said:
if his license expired in 2004, then he was still just a CB'er.

Here I thought this was gonna be our token ham bust thread.

And CW, if there was no 11-meter, whatever would you do with all your time? Have you forgotten how more to life there is than harrasing a bunch of 11-meter operators?

Let's see.....................................There's the antique cars (just sold '31 Model A Ford I restored), starting on a '51 Willys
M38 Jeep, then there's the wood shop where I build crafts and putter with my Shopsmith and other tools. Then there's the HF antennas I build. Then, lessee, OH! There's playing keyboards and piano and a Hammond organ. Or buddy-ing around with a friend at their music store (They are retiring this week and I've been helping them pack up. I also bought a big stand-alone drill press (industrial) from them and a motor for a table-top metal lathe---and a whole bunch of pegboard pegs for hanging up tools with.) Then there's helping the same friend get some antennas up now that he and his wife won't be keeping store anymore (also a ham). THEN it will soon be time for the OLD Tyme Thresher's Convention at Denton, NC where we will tend a 1911 Mogul one-lunger engine over the July 4 holiday. And then there's flying with friends out at the airport on Saturdays and Sundays. If I had more "life", I would collapse from exhaustion! :D :p

CWM

I agree, there should be one class of operator, ARO, Amateur Radio Operator.

100 questions of all three of the current classes with no code.

Has full use of the bands just like a current extra class now.

Just because there is no code does not mean there is no CW mode.

One class of license is interesting but I wonder if it is really practical. Perhaps I am a slower learner than some but by having different classes, or levels, of licenses, I am able to learn from my experience.
Getting a tech license prepared me for getting my general.
Having a general will prepare me for trying for extra someday.

If I had to take one test that encompassed all of the requirements of tech/general/extra, I think I would have a heluva time passing that without any real world prior knowledge of ham radio.

Then again, we only usually have to take one test to obtain a drivers license. Of course, when you look at the overall ability and competence level of most drivers, you wonder if one test is really good enough :p

Ok fair deal. How about a two teir test Teir one Phone all bands all modes used for phone than take tests for further endorsments if you need it Like for CW or other modes.? Dumb idea I think so..
I believe before it is all said and done.The ham bands will be a pay a fee service.Pay the FCC get your numbers if you want to talk on HF pay some more money get a endorsment to your lic with new call letters and viola a new 21st century ham.
Mabe it will go the way of CB just go buy your equipment and talk. who knows what new ideas will come forth out of the WRC and the FCC. But if something is not done to bring forth a new crop of hams this hobbie will die! As the WWII and Viet nam era vets die and others from that era it seems so does ham radio.
Remember the Radio Spectrum has a Value it's worth money and can be sold so I say either we start learning to get along and stop all this bickering and name calling or loose what we have now. just a thought. :? The dumbing down of the world continues. Tod

todt061458 said:
I think Happey-Hammer has got a lot of commom sense. Great idea it would stop all the nonsense.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Happy Hammer has his own troubles right now. He's in hot water with Riley...Riley is holding his license renewal hostage pending resolution of complaints about interference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.