• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hams on CB

waukeshajim

Nov 29, 2008
Why do hams resort to going back to cb? I know of at least ten hams who are always on cb running their amps. I thought that using amplifiers on cb was illegal?? Just my thought!!!

Yeh it's OK for the hammers to drop down to 11 meters, but let us cbers get off the 40 channels and they raise more hell than a jackass with a roman candle stuck up his butt.

It's a one way street.

Yeh it's OK for the hammers to drop down to 11 meters, but let us cbers get off the 40 channels and they raise more hell than a jackass with a roman candle stuck up his butt.

It's a one way street.

Most hams I know of could care less where a CB'er runs within 11m as long as they keep their signals off of 10 or 12m.As for WHY they go back to 11m, well why not. Most of them started there and still have friends there that did not get their tickets. A lot of them still frequent 11m because it is just part of their lifestyle.They like the the big amps and stomping on mud ducks and locking down a channel or two or three at a time and they feel good about it.11m allows them the freedom to do it wheareas back on the ham bands their asses would be fried for conducting themselves in such a manner.

theres a small group of hams near me <i'm one of them>that run quite a bit of 11M

we are there for a number of different reasons including

because of our old friends who are still there who dont have ham licenses for whatever reason

its ALOT more informal than ham bands....more like we're sitting around in the bar

mostly tho we're of the opinion that ITS ALL RADIO!!

we could care less where you run as long as you stay off the ham bands that youre not licensed for

not all of us "raise hell" about "freebanders" especially those of us who came from there.....

ive still got friends that run nothing but 27.455LSB and while im not there near as often as i once was i still like to pop in with those guys on a sunday AM and "have coffee"

scott

Why do hams resort to going back to cb? I know of at least ten hams who are always on cb running their amps. I thought that using amplifiers on cb was illegal?? Just my thought!!!

Are these hams doing anything that characterizes them as hams, other than the extra power?
Everybody runs power because amplifiers on 11m is like butter on bread.
These hams should just effectively be CBers, unless they are using callsigns or some other ham-like specific behaviour?

Like I said a one way street

I took your "one way street" comment as "do as I say and not as I do" sort of thing. My comment about that was meant that there are SOME hams that frequent the CB band with the "I'll do what I want" attitude because they can get away with it there. On the ham bands it is a differant matter.They cannot get away with it there. Remember, sometimes you can take the CB AWAY from the ham but you cannot take the the CB'er OUT of him. :D

I took your "one way street" comment as "do as I say and not as I do" sort of thing. My comment about that was meant that there are SOME hams that frequent the CB band with the "I'll do what I want" attitude because they can get away with it there. On the ham bands it is a differant matter.They cannot get away with it there. Remember, sometimes you can take the CB AWAY from the ham but you cannot take the the CB'er OUT of him. :D

I've been a CBer most of my life with no intent of becoming a licenced radio operator (Ham) due to the general attitude they have of I'm better than you because I have studied and have a licence. I have no reason to know how a radio works, how many thingys make a whaty etc, etc. I know enough to keep my station clean and run enough power as is needed for the situation. I know several helpful hams and have talked to countless numbers on the air waves.

I thinks it has not the idea that you can't take the CBer out of a ham, it's that you always have more horse's a$$es than horses.

I behave myself on the frequencies. I stay off of the precious ham bands and would appreciate some of the same courtesy toward us the CBer .

I behave myself on the frequencies. I stay off of the precious ham bands and would appreciate some of the same courtesy toward us the CBer .

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim, but you seem to imply that Hams out of a recepical courtesy should stay out of the CB band? There's nothing precious about the Ham bands. They are for licensed use, like a lot of other bands. The CB band is for unlicensed use. To expect one group to stay out of one area because they have licensed privileges in another is totally unreasonable. Previous posts here have indicated why some hams continue to frequent the CB bands. Just because some of use the Hams bands does not exclude us from the CB band. I too have several individuals with whom I continue to talk with on 11m. Thats where I got my start and love for things radio related. My love for radio simply pushed me into wider areas of RF Endeavors as I like to put it. I'm still the same old CDX-787 I just branched out a little more in my pursuit of the love radio.

Wayne C.

I DO know where you are coming from Jim but in all honesty it irks me when I hear the reason you feel the way you do. Obviously you must have had a really bad experiance at one time because your attitude towards hams is no differant than the attitude some hams have towards CB'ers. Not ALL CB'ers are renegades and not ALL hams are pompous asses either. Painting all of either group with the same brush is just as wrong for one as it is for the other.Personally I have NO problem whatsoever with CB'ers or even freebanders that run a little power. All I ask is that they stay out of the ham bands and if they run power please make it clean power. Just because they are not transmitting inside the 10m band does not mean spurious byproducts are not showing up there.The only CB'ers I have a problem with are those that operate on 10m or run bazillions of watts for the sole purpose of not allowing anybody else to use the channel.Then again IT9RYH does that on 14.195 and he is a ham. :angry: Other that have fun on the band. (y)

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim, but you seem to imply that Hams out of a recepical courtesy should stay out of the CB band? There's nothing precious about the Ham bands. They are for licensed use, like a lot of other bands. The CB band is for unlicensed use. To expect one group to stay out of one area because they have licensed privileges in another is totally unreasonable. Previous posts here have indicated why some hams continue to frequent the CB bands. Just because some of use the Hams bands does not exclude us from the CB band. I too have several individuals with whom I continue to talk with on 11m. Thats where I got my start and love for things radio related. My love for radio simply pushed me into wider areas of RF Endeavors as I like to put it. I'm still the same old CDX-787 I just branched out a little more in my pursuit of the love radio.

Wayne C.

Wayne,Jim can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Jim was refering to hams using their HF rigs and amps on 11m instead of legal CB gear.That is what has him bent out of shape.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.