• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP! Need schematic of a Tripp Lite PR-40 power supply

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
HELP! My one and only shack power supply is out of action.I am in desperate need of a schematic of a Tripp Lite PR-40 power supply.I suspect the voltage regulator is shot but it is doing some odd things.Any help is GREATLY appreciated.I will pay for copies or an email of the schematic would be great.Until then I am QRT. :( :(

you might try customer service ..tripp lite .....I had the same model as you have here many years ago ......I didn't even run anything heavy what so ever off of it ...I think I got about 8 months out of it before it took a dive on me. Never again Tripps for me after that. Good Luck too you

I have had great luck with mine.I have had it for over 10 years without a hitch.I was moving the shack around and when I hooked the main output leads up to the DC distribution buss the + output stud rotated and caused the leads inside to short to the case.When I turned it on I had no output at all.The overcurrent protection did what it was supposed too.When I opened the case I found a small electrolytic cap had broken off the + terminal inside as well from the stud twisting around.When I reattached it there was a small spark from the cap charging and then the output went to about 4 volts and stayed there.I suspect the voltage regulator IC but there is more to the regulator circuit than just it.The pass transistors are not getting enough base drive.

Thanks guys.Someone from a ham site I posted on emailed me some info.I now have the unit up and working.WHEW!!! Nothing like completely re-doing the den,painting,carpet cleaning,clearing out the junk,and rearranging ALL the gear only to find that NOTHING could be used until the P/S was fixed to really ruin your weekend.I am now QRV. :D

The power supply has remote sensing capability and the sense leads are connected directly to the output studs.When I reconnected the small electrolytic cap across the output it sparked and must have fed the voltage spike back into the MC1723CP voltage regulator chip.That number is obselete now but a UA723 works in it's place.Those 723 series regulators work well but can't handle spikes very well.Ironically the cap across the output is there to prevent spikes caused by connected equipment.

tripp

I have two TrippLite PR-60s and I have not had any problems yet. I hope I dont but at least I know what to look for if I do. The only problem I did see was that the studs work loose very easily, I pulled the covers off and tightened them up and it never happened again. It must be a factory thing where they dont tighten them enough. I did want a schematic for mine but they were unavailable from TrippLite, but the people there were very nice to talk to. I hope they are still around if I ever have a problem.

The problem with the studs is the insulator washer they use.If you tighten the crap out of them they will break,I replaced mine when I had it apart.I plan to modify it by bringing the sense leads to a jack so I can place them at the output of my DC distribution meter bridge so the next time I have it apart I will look at installing some sort of star washer/lock washer set up to avoid the loosening problem.It is not really a problem as I never have to deal with the studs now with the distribution block I have.

QRN said:
The problem with the studs is the insulator washer they use.If you tighten the crap out of them they will break,I replaced mine when I had it apart.I plan to modify it by bringing the sense leads to a jack so I can place them at the output of my DC distribution meter bridge so the next time I have it apart I will look at installing some sort of star washer/lock washer set up to avoid the loosening problem.It is not really a problem as I never have to deal with the studs now with the distribution block I have.

Thanks...That sounds like a really good idea. I might just take both of mine apart and do the modification.

You will probably have to use two star washers on each stud.One between the stud head and the insulator washer and another between the insulator washer and the chassis.

Tripp-Lite PR-40 Precision Regulated DC Power Supply schematic

I seriously need a schematic to rebuild this Tripp-Lite PR-40 Precision Regulated DC Power Supply. Tripp-Lite won't help, so please don't suggest I go to their site. :sad:

It's actually a Tripp-Lite PR-40B but a regular 40 will help

anyone that can help a brother out?

Email me if anyone can help

HELP! My one and only shack power supply is out of action.I am in desperate need of a schematic of a Tripp Lite PR-40 power supply.I suspect the voltage regulator is shot but it is doing some odd things.Any help is GREATLY appreciated.I will pay for copies or an email of the schematic would be great.Until then I am QRT. :( :(

Try my Yahoo group if you still need schematics!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersupplies/

TNX es 73,
Tyrone / N5XES :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.