• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP needed with a new Maco V58 Assembly

Bow

Bastard Modulation Engineering
Aug 13, 2008
SouthWest AZ
reverendbow.wordpress.com
So I started assembling my new Maco V58.

I have 1 question...

Is the "Aluminum Bracket R03P Spider" (the Hub the holds the ground radials to the base of the base section) supposed to me Tapped for threads so the 5/16" x 1" Bolt/Nut/lock washer combination that tightens it against the Base section can screw into it?

My Hub is not tapped, and that supplied bolt isn't going to tap that cast aluminum....

HELP!

So I started assembling my new Maco V58.

I have 1 question...

Is the "Aluminum Bracket R03P Spider" (the Hub the holds the ground radials to the base of the base section) supposed to me Tapped for threads so the 5/16" x 1" Bolt/Nut/lock washer combination that tightens it against the Base section can screw into it?

My Hub is not tapped, and that supplied bolt isn't going to tap that cast aluminum....

HELP!
There is supposed to be a 5/16x1'' hex bolt/washer and nut that goes through that hole, you will find this in the 2nd paragraph of figure 2 base assembly.
It appears that the ground radial hub is threaded so screw the nut onto the bolt then add the washer and the bolt assembly acts as a set screw and the nut and washer act as a locking device for the set screw so get the bolt/nut and washer at you local hardware and this will lock the ground radial hub to the base assembly.

http://www.majestic-comm.com/assembly/SUPPORT/V58.PDF

Last edited:
Thanks for teh link.

Yup, That is what I thought, the Spider Hub SHOULD be tapped for the 5/16" x1 Bolt, then the lockwasher and nut are to keep it from backing out.

My spider hub isn't threaded... guess I'll buy me a Tap tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies

thanks for the replies everyone.

Actually, the directions are incorrect.

The Spider hub is a 3/8" x 1" bolt (not a 5/16"x1). The threads are supposed to be tapped 3/8" x 16.

I tapped it yesterday, but I may call Maco today to see if they can Update their assembly instructions.

I am going to try to get it up and tuned tonight, before I go out of town tomorrow...

UpDate:

I called Maco this morning, talked to a nice gent named Tom.

He was very apologetic and is sending me a Spider Hub today, so I guess I'll have a spare. I also mentioned that the assembly instructions are incorrect dealing with the bolt size on the Spider, and he said that is also already in work to be corrected.

+1 for customer Service from Maco/Gizmochy-Charles Electronics LLC

Last edited:
thanks for the replies everyone.

Actually, the directions are incorrect.

The Spider hub is a 3/8" x 1" bolt (not a 5/16"x1). The threads are supposed to be tapped 3/8" x 16.

I tapped it yesterday, but I may call Maco today to see if they can Update their assembly instructions.

I am going to try to get it up and tuned tonight, before I go out of town tomorrow...

UpDate:

I called Maco this morning, talked to a nice gent named Tom.

He was very apologetic and is sending me a Spider Hub today, so I guess I'll have a spare. I also mentioned that the assembly instructions are incorrect dealing with the bolt size on the Spider, and he said that is also already in work to be corrected.

+1 for customer Service from Maco/Gizmochy-Charles Electronics LLC
I love a happy ending.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.