• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help to Identify

EarleH

Mar 22, 2008
East Texas
How can I post a photo so someone might identify this amp. It has no identification. Far left, 3 switches. power, stby/amp, am/ssb; CC 150; a meter that runs up to 20 then turns red to 100; two dials, PLATE and LOAD.
Measures W-10", D - 6", H - 8". Gray perforated cover, with chrome handles on either side. 2 17KV6A Tubes. Has an SWR adjustment at the rear. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If it has tubes and plate and load, it will be an plug in the wall amp, no mobile one or on car battery power.

The tubes are Medium Mu Triode beam power tubes.
More or less replacement is 6KV6A
Current 0.600 Amp
Voltage 16.8volt
Warm up time appr. 11 seconds.
Novar type

Data taken from RCA leaflet.

why was my post deleted ? all i did was tell the man what his options were to get a pic posted on this forum . it was directly answering his question and not off topic . please tell me what i did wrong so i wont do it again . thanks

I dont know if black cat ever made any tube amps. I could be very wrong however. but i dont think they did. they just made those Amplifier/power supply boxes that are similar to the cobra and palomar base amp/powersupply

How can I post a photo so someone might identify this amp. It has no identification. Far left, 3 switches. power, stby/amp, am/ssb; CC 150; a meter that runs up to 20 then turns red to 100; two dials, PLATE and LOAD.
Measures W-10", D - 6", H - 8". Gray perforated cover, with chrome handles on either side. 2 17KV6A Tubes. Has an SWR adjustment at the rear. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you want to post a photo you have to sign up for a service such as www.photobucket.com. and copy and paste the BBCODE link into your post.

i thought one of the new rules of the forum was having to be a premium/paying member to post pics . my bad apparently . i apologize .

1:
Booty, not sure why your post got deleted?
2:
You can host the picture on photobucket and allways post a link to it here on the forum.
3:
Booty, not sure why your post got deleated?
4:
Yes, black Cat made a few Amps, in fact they made a few big amps, and some little ones.
It almost sounds like a Cadet 150, the one I had used 2 x 6kv6 tubes in it.
You said it has a perforated cover, is it holes "punched" in the cover, or is it a cut out type design?
I will try to dig up a picture of one when I get home.
Start a photo bucket account
www.photobucket.com
upload the pictures there and then post a link to them here.
If you have trouble, send me a PM, and I will see if I can help you out.

Jeff

No, but it has one large transformer and one about half the size plus two 17KV6A tubes. Question, would it be prefered to switch the tubes to the 6KV6A?

NO.
The first number is the voltage that the heaters of the tube run on, so a 17KV6A uses 17 volts to run the heaters, and a 6KV6A uses 6 Volts, switching the tubes would just burn up the filaments of the tube.
And the basic tube is the same, less the heater voltage, so no gain in power.
If it is working good as is I would leave it alone.

Jeff

I got this because running a separate power supply with all the other stuff, transmitter, scanner, computer, etc, is a mess, however, being almost 80, I am a loss to run some of this stuff. That being said. I read on how to tune a tube amp, but am still confused. I dead keyed this amp a 4 watts, and set the meter till just to the begining of the red. This though only gives me about 40 watts. Is this about right? Earle

Earl tunning an amp can be confusing at times and the metering is not the same on all amps.With that being said just a good ole watt metter can be used with no meter at all on the amp...You can tune an amp i have found a couple of ways one way is to tune for the highest dead key(no modulation)or tune for most forward swing on the watt meter i like the later..but as long as you are in ball park with in 10 watts or so of maximum you shoul be fine.It is just tial and error back an forth from the tune and load till you see the max on your watt meter and short keys till you get close....I problaby didn't help much as their seem to be lots of guru's on here...Take care have fun...Hope i can still key the mike at 80 thats great...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated