• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here's another Warning!

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
Here's another WARNING.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
ENFORCEMENT BUREAU NORTHEAST REGION
Detroit Office
24897 Hathaway Street
Farmington Hills, Michigan 48375

April 18, 2008

(Sent via Certified Return Receipt Requested and First Class U.S. Mail)

Donald Damron
Akron, Ohio

NOTICE OF UNLICENSED OPERATION
Case Number: EB-08-DT-0052
Document Number: W200832360012

The Detroit Office received information that your Citizens Band ("CB") Radio Service station was being operated illegally and causing interference in Akron, Ohio. On April 3, 2008, an agent from this office inspected the radio station at your residence and confirmed that you were operating a RCI-2990 radio in your home and a RCI-2950 mobile in your vehicle, which are non-certified CB transceivers.
Section 95.409(a) of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. S: 95.409(a), states that "se of a transmitter which is not FCC certified voids your authority to operate the station." By using non- certified transceivers, you voided your authority to operate this station. Radio stations must be licensed by the FCC pursuant to 47 U.S.C. S: 301. You are hereby warned that operation of radio transmitting equipment without a valid radio station authorization constitutes a violation of the Federal laws cited above and could subject the operator to severe penalties, including, but not limited to, substantial monetary fines, in rem arrest action against the offending radio equipment, and criminal sanctions including imprisonment.
(see 47 U.S.C. S:S: 401, 501, 503 and 510).
UNLICENSED OPERATION OF THIS RADIO STATION MUST BE DISCONTINUED IMMEDIATELY. You have ten (10) days from the date of this notice to respond regarding the operation of your CB station. Your response should be sent to the address in the letterhead and reference the listed case and document number. Under the Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. S: 552a(e)(3), we are informing you that the Commission's staff will use all relevant material information before it to determine what, if any, enforcement action is required to ensure your compliance with FCC Rules. This will include any information that you disclose in your reply.
You may contact this office if you have any questions.
James A. Bridgewater, District Director, FCC
Detroit Office
Attachments: Excerpts from the Communications Act of 1934, As Amended Enforcement Bureau, "Inspection Fact Sheet", July 2003

There's no "agenda" Anyone that wants to read ALL the FCC actions are welcome to exercize their initiative and go to www.fcc.gov/eb to find them.

For years, it was believed by CBers (with some accuracy) that they couldn't be touched for their interference, their blatant snubbing of the rules, their use of illegal equipment and, encroachment into the ham bands. It is no longer true, thanks to Mr Hollingsworth's steadfast initiative and insistance that the amateur bands be protected from the hordes of violators that would otherwise flood them with hopeless interference and pure nonsense! Now we have others within FCC, such as Mr James Bridgewater, who has smacked some hands and shook out some wallets!!!(y)

For those who point to the relatively FEW FCC actions against amateurs, it is that very number, or LACK thereof, that demonstrates the fact of the matter. That being, that IF FCC had the funding (and Congress who does not understand the workings of electronics), the actual numbers of busts against CB operators versus that of amateurs would FAR exceed that 6-8 published actions against hams: HUNDREDS out of a million casual CB users against those 6-8 within the 600,000 or so hams!

If there is any "agenda" at all, it is to show that:

1. FCC WILL come after both CBer AND ham IF he causes complaints

2. And that the licensed folks simply will not sit idly by and permit the theft of our frequencies by unlicensed outlaws!

I see NO contradition, therefore, in the posting of those actions.

CWM

since the feds are worried about unlicensed operation I think the guy should write the FCC and tell them he is studying for his tech ticket. That should get them off his back and he can used both his rigs as he was before.

All getting a license does is allow him to operate those radios on 10/12m. They are still not legal to operate on CB freqs. which is what he was doing hence the referance to "Citizens Band ("CB") Radio Service station".

It is no longer true, thanks to Mr Hollingsworth's steadfast initiative and insistance that the amateur bands be protected from the hordes of violators that would otherwise flood them with hopeless interference and pure nonsense!

CWM

Wow...that's....poetic.

You know CW, I've been a ham going on 14 years. Earned my Extra the hard way--20 WPM code.

As I tuned across 75/80 last night about 12 AM local, I could count on both hands the number of SSB QSOs across the whole band (and the band was relatively open for a change). Down in the CW portion there wasn't a soul. Same on 40. And same on 20 (but at that time of the night I doubt 20 was open). And the QSOs that were going on in the middle of the night on 80? Let's say most were not the most technically enlightening, morally upstanding, or in no way advanced the radio art.

Where's the great masses that were supposed to invade HF with the dropping of the code requirement? They haven't materialized.

My point being this. We don't use the bands we have. And when we use them...well...what's the difference between us "flooding them with hopeless interference and pure nonsense" and someone else doing it?? Not much in my book.

You know...all this time we were worried about CBers invading hamdom, when in reality, hams have just de-evolved into glorified CBers. And that's sad, because we (just a decade ago) were much, much better than that.

As I tuned across 75/80 last night about 12 AM local, I could count on both hands the number of SSB QSOs across the whole band (and the band was relatively open for a change). Down in the CW portion there wasn't a soul. Same on 40. And same on 20 (but at that time of the night I doubt 20 was open). And the QSOs that were going on in the middle of the night on 80? Let's say most were not the most technically enlightening, morally upstanding, or in no way advanced the radio art.

Where's the great masses that were supposed to invade HF with the dropping of the code requirement? They haven't materialized.

They were sleeping because they have jobs to wake up for ;-)

Seriously...you were surprised at midnight not to find that many people on but the whackos?

Try 4pm-9pm when the band is good and solid and short, it's packed (75m). Lately the band goes long by 9pm or so and if you don't have a kW to run, you aren't going to do much talking then, particularly with all the static crashes of the past few nights. You need to be S9+10 to have a comfortable signal under the conditions of the last few nights.

i dont understand the obsession with cb'ers on 10 or 12 meters that some hams seem to have . like were gonna ruin the other 157 meters or the centimeter bands .

"thanks to Mr Hollingsworth's steadfast initiative and insistance that the amateur bands be protected from the hordes of violators that would otherwise flood them with hopeless interference and pure nonsense! Now we have others within FCC, such as Mr James Bridgewater, who has smacked some hands and shook out some wallets!!!"

did you smoke a cigarette after you wrote that ? was it as good for the keyboard as it was for you ?

As I tuned across 75/80 last night about 12 AM local, I could count on both hands the number of SSB QSOs across the whole band (and the band was relatively open for a change). Down in the CW portion there wasn't a soul. Same on 40. And same on 20 (but at that time of the night I doubt 20 was open).

Not sure where you are but I was up until almost 0500UTC (That's 2:00am local time here) and I had a ball on 80m. There were lots of QSO's happening on my end.I worked several guys in the UK and a fellow in France and one in The Netherlands as well as a whole slew of USA operators. I tend to avoid 40m due to the broadcast QRM which is horrendous here at times but I even magnaged a couple QSO's on 20m around 0300UTC. All I have to play with at the moment is 100 watts and an inverted L fed with a tuner. My tribander is out of action for a while.

I look at it this way, you drink and drive, you know its wrong, so when you get popped and hauled in, ticketed and your insurance goes through the roof, THAT WAS YOUR CHOICE! The same for freebanding or whatever one chooses to call it (almost everyone has done it) but again we all know its not legal and its done anyways. When you get caught, you have nobody to complain to but yourself.

You know dynamite can eventually blow up, so if you play catch with it or store it in the basement and your house goes KABOOM, well again you knew that was a possibility. Im just saying we all know its not legal so maybe thats the thrill of it for some being that loudest rebel on the air? There is that chance of getting in trouble so when it happens, was it worth it? Some would say hell yeah, so what, I'll keep doing it. Some would I'm sure cry at the garnishing of paychecks. ITS YOUR CHOICE TO MAKE. I dont care who does what as long as it doesn't effect me .

We see people getting in trouble with this and people don't like it. They think it's right or agree but you still will run your radio where you want. Is there a lesson or warning? Usually not, but when that letter comes then its a problem and considered bullshit! You know it could happen so it is YOUR CHOICE. As far as wanting to make those awesome contacts, just do a little studying and get your ticket, it is easier now then ever.

My son turned 12 a day ago and he's about ready for his test in a few weeks. My wife and 13 year old daughter are doing it as well, all it takes is a little studying, if you are interested.

I like CB radio as well. We have a group that talks everynight and without using high power and we still have fun. To top it off, LSB on the upper part of the 40 channels!! Are we saints? Hell no, but we do have a good time. There are some of us that are amateur operators and alot that are not, never the less, they are still great long time friends. Again the ham ticket, YOUR CHOICE.

As far as late night activity on the amateur bands, listen to 3.843. I can't believe them boys even still have a ticket or haven't GOT ANY CITATION TICKETS for their rawness and stupidity at times. It's no better than freeband or CB craziness but yet I still listen in as I do CB.

I at times get irritated with the ham verses cb wars and slander. Not one group is better than the other, that is for sure, they both smash each other! It's like the Ford verses Chevy arguments, I dont care what anyone else does as long as it doesn't involve me.

RF splatter etc., they all have to leave one another alone, neither hobby will ever be stopped but it seems when a CB operator gets busted it turns into, you S.O.B. amateur operators! :angry: We didn't do it. We don't make the rules. We all know them, and if we don't follow them, that is up to us. We all make are own bed.

I like my SSB group on 11 meters, at times though, its tough to hear one another on 12 watts, all in all its still a blast. I just hate seeing stone throwing among CB and amateur operators. I feel stuck in the middle, I mean hell 90% of ham operators started somewhere and thats 11 meters and listening to freeband is what gets alot of people interested in ham radio. You listen and think wow, communicatons here is cool. Contacts can get even better with ham! I love it, it's another radio communications option and it has its benefits. I'll always have my friends on 11 meters and it's fun running these CB's after switching over from the HF and other 2 meter radios ETC.

i dont understand the obsession with cb'ers on 10 or 12 meters that some hams seem to have . like were gonna ruin the other 157 meters or the centimeter bands .

"thanks to Mr Hollingsworth's steadfast initiative and insistance that the amateur bands be protected from the hordes of violators that would otherwise flood them with hopeless interference and pure nonsense! Now we have others within FCC, such as Mr James Bridgewater, who has smacked some hands and shook out some wallets!!!"

did you smoke a cigarette after you wrote that ? was it as good for the keyboard as it was for you ?
hahaha just what I was thinking, get over hollingsworth.

Any way you look at it, CW is a man who holds true to his convictions. He is like the Don Quixote of amateur radio.

I don't always agree with his posts or his stance but I will admit I admire the man for sticking to his guns.

cb is about dead. and ham is not getting many new operators. we all need to stick togeather or you will not have anybody to talk to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?