• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hey Mole - RE:Cushcraft R6000

WR0220

Oct 26, 2008
DX Land
I did a search and came across your 01/20/08 post regarding the Cushcraft R6000 antenna. I was wondering if you are still using this antenna, and if so are you satisfied with it's overall performance. Space is limited (no room for dipoles, inverted v, etc.), so I am thinking this antenna might be a good candidate to get me on some of the HF bands. Are there other antennas on the market in the same price range you feel work as well or better that are more durable? Although my questions are directed at Mole (do to his prior post) any and all info from others is also appreciated.

The Cushcraft R6000 is basically a 1/2 wave antenna on each band it covers It uses traps for 17 & 20 meters. You can also use it on 75 meters (harmonic), although I'm not sure how much power it will handle there. This particular one requires no ground radials, as it has a bunch of elevated radials with the matching section. It seems to be built OK, but it's not the beefiest antenna around. There are a bunch of vertical HF antennas available. Are you planning on just mounting it in the ground or on the roof? Keep in mind that most verticals will require ground radials of some type.

Having the vertical above the inverted V is kind've neat...often I can hear stations on one antenna better than the other. Of course, I'd like to have some type of directional antenna with gain instead, but that just isn't going to happen.

The antenna will be mounted on the lower roof of my apartment building on 15 feet of mast to get the feedpoint above the upper roofline. I had a look at the Titan, but I don't have room on the ground to mount it on a 5 foot mast and lay out the 25 foot ground radials. Same song second verse for the roof - no room for the ground radials, plus a lot of the reviews stated the SWR was difficult to tame if the antenna was roof mounted. I also had a look at the Zero5 antennas, but my space restrictions (and the cost) eliminated it as a choice. The R6000 looks to be a compromise I can work with - self contained ground radials and a managable SWR even with it elevated. I am aware of the SWR issue relating to the traps (and possibly the transformer box), but plan on doing some additional weatherproofing prior to putting it in the air. I will also seal all the mating lines of the radials with coax seal to prevent water migration at those points. I will be using a 756 ProII so power output will be =< 100 watts. I may invest in an amp in the future, but would first like to hone my skills at lower power contacts first. The only HF band I have access to right now is 10m using a Max2000. I want to get onto a few more HF bands (both phone & digital). My end goal is to find an antenna that has reasonable performance, is relatively durable, yet has a small footprint. I know, it's a tall order...lol...thanks to all for the input.

Well, I think it will accomplish what you are needing. Be advised that tuning this antenna will drive you a little nutty - at least it did for me. For whatever reason (weather?) the resonant point on some of the bands seems to move around also. I finally said "forget about it" and just use the internal tuner on the rig to touch it up if needed. I think water gets into the matching box and doesn't drain, and I also think that water gets into the traps. But, since it doesn't rain that much here, I don't worry all that much about it.

You will probably want to make a choke below the feedpoint also. I didn't and wish that I had. Sure, the antenna is a compromise, but it WILL get you on 6-20 meters easily enough. It really is suited well for those of us that have to use a roof mounted vertical.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.