1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Homebrew 1/4 Wave 10 Meter Ground Plane

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Riverman, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

Easy Peasy. Works great!

Used this: https://m0ukd.com/calculators/quarter-wave-ground-plane-antenna-calculator/

Came up with 98.77" for the vertical. Had a Buddistick shockcord antenna I trimmed to 99 inches. Aluminum tubing or even a crappie pole and wire should work as well.

Attached it to a typical stud connector and mirror bracket atop a 4.5' light stand from Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-72-04-in-to-72-04-in-Plastic-Work-Light-Stands/1000655903

Used 16 ga. wire for radial. Started with 110" and trimmed for lowest SWR at 28.400 MGZ (10 Meter Calling Channel). Wound up with a SWR of 1.02 using a tick over 100".

Trying to approximate an angle of 76.5 degrees, I attached it to the top notch on my electric fence post. (76.5 is the recommended angle for achieving an impedance of 50 ohms when using a single elevated radial. 45 degrees is recommended when two or more or used. https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/Elevated Radials.html.)

10 meters is still pretty quiet but opens up occasionally during the day, especially in the afternoons here in north Texas. When it does, it is mostly DX and rarely stateside. :)

10 Meter Antenna.jpg 10 Meter.jpg IMG_1037.jpg IMG_1030.jpg IMG_1032.jpg

NZ8N, wavrider and Crawdad like this.

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

I suggest to use choke balun and insulate antenna and radial(s) from mounting pole.
    Also I would use 3-4 radials instead of one. Just one skew antenna pattern.
    Mike

NZ8N and Riverman like this.
  3. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

Mike, I gave that thought during construction. But if I have CMC, it is miniscule. It is easy to detect when using the analyzer as the readings will jump around, especially when touching the radio or coax connectors. I had that when using the Buddistick coil and had to use ferrite beads, but I don't have that with this setup. Don't know why. It' s clear the stand is part of the ground plane since the bracket is not insulated from it, but the readings are stable and good and the antenna is working great, so see no reason to mess with it. :p

4. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

Nope, I'm a one radial guy. I love 'em. Less to walk around in the yard and a whole lot less hassle during mowing season. It's my experience these antennas are omni-directional. Although this radial is pointed northeast, I've easily made 5/9 contacts off the sides and back as I have with other similar setups. Sometimes the book stuff just doesn't come to fruition. :)

5. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

Speaking of CMC, when using a Chameleon mini coil and no ferrite beads a few months back, my little desktop callsign display would light up whenever I keyed the mic! :eek:
    Now that's CMC. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_1042.jpg IMG_1043.jpg

6. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Without a choke balun you have 2 radials :)

wavrider and Riverman like this.
  7. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

(y) My coax might be radiating, but it doesn’t light up my callsign display or make the hair on my neck tingle. And it lets me talk to Spain, so I’m good with it doing its thing. ;)

8. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Sorry, 3 radials. My bad :)

Riverman likes this.
  9. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

Well, you suggested 3-4, so I guess I’m good. :whistle:
    Actually with this setup it’s 5. The light stand has 3 legs. :D

10. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

So.. good SWR have dummy load. :)

Riverman likes this.
  11. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

This dummy load is talking all over the world.

12. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

This one is cool for a DIY 11 meter antenna the guy that built it hangs out here sometimes....

Jeff

3707.jpg 3709.jpg

HomerBB, Crawdad, NZ8N and 1 other person like this.
  13. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

So, if it is your key parameter... I talked all over the world from barb wire fence. It doesn't make it good antenna.

w9cll, Captain Kilowatt and Riverman like this.
  14. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

Mine is simple, stealthy and works great. Am very happy with it. No matter what it's called. (y)

#14 Riverman, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  15. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

I can see the look on my wife’s face if she comes home and finds one of those, Jeff. :eek:

HomerBB, Crawdad and AudioShockwav like this.