• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew GU50 tube amp 10-11m

Tube Doctor

Oct 9, 2009
Hello everybody. Does anyone have any expertise with the Russian GU50/ LS50 tube? I want to build a 50-100 watt amp and drive it direct either with my cobra29 or trusty comstat 25b tuber. I am considering using 6146 tubes or the GU50. I like the dissapation and build quaility of the GU50 and am almost set on using this tube. I need to design a circuit around it or find a proven circuit for using it. I dont have a whole lot of information on this tube and do not think the russian military is willing to give me any pointers either. It would also be helpfull to know what I need to drive it with as far as what tube and input wattage ect. Thanks AARON AKA "The Tube Doctor"

Anybody???????? GU50 build info Specs ect?

It's a vacuum tube, treat it like one

Class C (telegraph mode)
Ua= 1000 V (max. 46,1 MHz)
Ua= 800 V Imax. 66,6 MHz)
Ua= 700 V (max. 85,7 MHz)
Ua= 600 V (max. 120 MHz)
Ia = 120 mA
Ug2 = 300 V
Ig2 = 10 mA
Ug1=- 80 V
Ig1=0 mA
Pout=85 W
max cathode current: 230 mA
heater: 12,6 V/0,7A

You are not going to find any "How to / DIY" instructions for that tube, your best bet is to adapt an existing design to fit your application. X-Force or Charger have never built one of these so, the appliance-operating world has nothing to copy from.

The tube looks interesting with that metal heat dissapation cap on the top. If you are interested in working with that tube, but 4-6 of them and some sockets and get busy.

P0002432.JPG

Are you trying to build a high Mu Grid-driven amp (like the 4CX-250b style), if so then your tuned input circuit is critical along with the stability of the screen and bias supplies. You could ground all grids, feed the cathode like they do with the 6LQ6 tube and hope for the best. I would not consider using the exact circuit as the 6146 because of the way that tube is internally constructed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.