• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOMEMADE BASE STATION MONITOR and SWITCHING CENTER

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I’ve been experimenting with my base radio for a long time, and it’s good to go on the transmit side. Now, I’m working on the receiver to improve sensitivity and reduce noise. The transmit mods (3:1 speech compression, switchable NPC, etc.), were installed inside the chassis. But the receive equipment (equalizer, audio compander, speech filter, and DSP) were larger and needed to be connected externally. I use separate setups for AM and SSB (including a different speaker for each mode), and reaching behind the rig to change connections when switching modes was a pain in the ass. The solution was to build a switchbox and change setups by pushing buttons. It worked, but like anything I build in two nights....it looked butt-ugly.
The second-generation box took longer to build, but it looks nicer and has more features. The new box has three meters: S , RF, and Vu (modulation). The stock S/RF meter on the TRC-457 is hard to read, and the new Vu meter makes setting up the NPC easier. There is also a switch to control the fan in the 457. The NPC mod increased the transmit duty cycle and fried two AM regulator transistors, so I put in a fan to cool things down. BUT.... the fan fed noise back into the supply and the 457 "whined" in receive. Now the fan gets its power from the switchbox and the whine is gone.
This was a fun project and came out better than I expected.

PICT0023a.JPG

PICT0030a.JPG

PICT0024a.JPG

PICT0025a.JPG

PICT0026a.JPG

There are other pictures posted on my member page.

Last edited:

very cool!

be sure to let me know when they become available for purchase. LOL

how exactly does the Vu meter help set up the NPC?

knowing you, im guessing that you arent using the stock 1419 for the reg., so what part are you using that kept blowing?
LC

I am not gonna lie that is a nice job, but what impressed me more in your pics is where you live. Do you need any help down there. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated