• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How many HT's have you owned through the years?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I don't know why, but I was wondering to myself how many HT's I've owned. I know it's not all that many compared to some of you guys, but I think it would be an interesting topic. Also, which one did you hate the most and which one is/was your favorite?

Here's my list:
Icom IC-T90A - My first HT and one of my favorites user interfaces. Unfortunately I had one of the early models that had such bad intermod, it was unusable on 2m in L.A.

Yaesu VX-5r - only had this one for a short time. It might have been a loaner, I don't remember

Yaesu VX-6r - Used it for a while and traded it for something, I don't remember what

Yaesu VX-7r - Got stolen before it was very old. The biggest complaint that I had with the VX-5,6,7r was that the user interface wasn't very intuitive. If you didn't have a photographic memory, you weren't going to remember how to do certain features. They were always pretty rugged and reliable, though.

Kenwood TH-F6a - one of my favorites. I had this one for several years before I sold it to buy a new one. The only HT I ever owned that had LSB, USB, & CW RX capability on HF. I with I still had one.

Yaesu VX-2r - Good little radio for your pocket. Worked good for what it is.

Yaesu VX-8r - Still have it. Still love it. Some things could be improved (like the price!) but GPS, APRS, mega memories, waterproof, bluetooth, all very fun to play with

Alinco DJ-G7 - Crossband repeat on any two bands and also has 1.2 Ghz. Good, basic rugged radio. Easy to use, but some quirks. Nothing fancy, but not too pricey either. Comes with a lot of accessories for the price. 1.2Ghz on an HT is not all it's cracked up to be.

What's on my wish list: The new Kenwood APRS HT coming out 2010.

What's your HT story?

Reactions: 1 person

hmmm...I've owned a bunch but very rarely have I owned a new one other than the Chinese HT's which these days I strongly prefer

I'd have to spend some time looking and thinking back to come up with a complete list.

Had very few Yaesu radios, more Icoms.

T90a ( always liked it )
IC-91AD ( very good indeed.. using computer for memories)
THF6a (2 of them...not as good as icoms except having 220 band)
Motorola 1250LS ( nice but not exactly my cup of tea )

None.

The house has three rigs(706MKIIG,Yeasu 8100, Kenwood 430), the Jeep has a dual band (Yeasu 8500), the work truck has a 2M ( Icom 2000).

I can cope without constant radio contact.:LOL:

Well, maybe.:laugh:

That O2A is designed for sat work If i remember right ?
How do you like it ?

The O2A was one of the older Icom HT's. The thing was the size of a brick. And about as rugged as one. I had about 5 of these at one time. I also had the O3 and O4. 220 & 440mhz. 10 men channels and 5 watts. Those were good rigs.

Since I worked at both GE and EF johnson in the past, my HT count is well above 75 or so. I have about 15 or so at the present.
Icom's
Kenwood
Realistic
ADI
Wilsom
Standard

HTX 202

IC W32A (2) Had one of the first generation of these which would obtain a goodly amount of out-of-band reach including 800mhz with a simple Keyboard Command

My first handheld was an Icom IC-2GAT. nice built like a brick, 6 or 7 watts as I recall. Sold it years ago.

I currently have two VX-8r's and a Kenwood Th-22at. I love the Kenwood; simple, compact, easy to store channels in memory. Feels good in my hand. 6 watts output with a larger battery!

The VX-8's are an incredible bit of engineering. So much in so little space. I wish they had a little different design for their waterproof enclosure. Mine spend most of their time in the water, unfortunately salt-water. Even with a fresh water rinse after use the metal exposed is showing signs of attack. My stand alone GPS is a garmin and has no exposed metal components, this woudl have been nice on the VX-8. Oh well. maybe next time.

I wish Kenwood made a waterproof HT. Clearly my desires are not in the mainstream. I love tiny and multi featured.

In Order

HTX-202
Kenwood TH-79a
Icom IC-DELTA1A! Real dumb to let it go
Alinco DJ-580
Another ICOM IC-DELTA1A but it was a tech special. never got it to work
Yaesu VX-7R
And yes ANOTHER IC-DELTA1A that i got for a steel on ebay for $140
another vx-7r
and last but not least my new addition Yaesu VX-8R which this one is the only ham radio I have left.
hard times call for hard sacrifices but you got to do what you got to do but i will build it up again but love the vx-8r

Hmmm, Let me think....This should be it I believe:

Yaesu VX-2R
Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu Vx-7R
Yaesu VX-8R
Yaesu FT-50R
Yaesu FT-60R
Kenwood TH-F6A
Kenwood TH-G71
Icom IC-91AD

There may be more, I can't be sure!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.