• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to care for old radios?

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I have a couple old CB's that were given to me years ago and I would like to try and keep them as nice as possible. I don't use either at all but was wondering what is the best way to store them and keep them nice.

From what I have seen electronics are better preserved in the closet indoors than the garage or attic. One thing that happens over time is the capacitors dry out, changing the capacitance as they dry. Temp cycles speed up this process. Just about any radio pre-1980 I get has issues due to caps, usually off freq, squealing, hum,etc,etc. Some radios have better longevity than others, some caps fail in just a few years and some last for decades, but temp controlled storage like indoors has a way of preserving things for a very long time.

The only thing I would add to that last comment, is that it doesn't hurt to take a radio out of storage and let it power up for a day or two - constantly on. Applying power to radio/capacitors keeps them healthier than just letting them sit and possibly go bad. In particular, the electrolytic capacitors. This will also help preserve capacitors to do it once in a while . . .

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. They have been indoors since I have had them so hopefully they are still in good shape. I will power them up from time to time as you suggest Robb.

Store them in a climate controlled closet and turn them on from time to time.......kind of what you have to do for a wife!

I think alot of it has to do with the radio and the quality of parts used. I just fixed an old Roberts 23ch from 1977, it was dirty like it been in a garage, inside the wires were like crispy critters and 2 shorted diodes, some broken solder, and a new speaker and the radio was back in business and still on freq.

I had ATX power supplies not last a day and seen caps literally explode, so alot of it is quality.

If you frequently mess with old CBs... especially bases... a variac is definitely a good thing to have. Start at 25 volts AC and increase the voltage by 25 every 30 minutes or so until you hit the normal 120. This process helps reform old filter caps and puts much less stress on the components when bringing them back to life after prolonged storage.

You can buy a new variac for well less than $100 on Ebay and they commonly sell at hamfests for 20 to 30 bucks.

The best way to care for them is entrust them to someone who will preserve them for you.

I will PM you with the address to ship them too. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated