• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT Battery life

KJ4IYK

Dec 10, 2008
WS,North Carolina
Hey gang, before I start let me state that I know there are 4000 variables to my questions, but there has to be some general answers. Let's start by saying I leave whichever HT I decide on on high power. A dual bander, on 2M, and a basic model with few bells and whistles. Possible usage, ARES, event communications, camping trips, Boy Scouts trips, etc. With exception of the first two, most time will be on stand by instead of TX, I assume? Will a standard stock battery,say 1200mah, last a whole weekend? Is it worth it to have an external power connection for cigar. plug?, or extra charged battery better? How do AA cases compare? How much improvement can be had over the stock antenna, or does that vary with brand and model? Other than waterproofness is there a benefit to sma-male over sma-female, or bnc? I swear the more I compare the more confused I become, and the more questions I have? Is it not safe to assume that programing of HTs is for the most part a brand favorite issue and/or a computer knowledge issue? Example, I was told the Icom 706MKII had the most complicated menu of any radio out there, I found it to be quite easy to program. I don't profess to be able to remember all points of the main or quick programming menus, but you don't need to know them all. Anyway, any and all answers or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks and 73s KJ4IYK

Wow, a lot of questions in one post :)

Will a standard stock battery,say 1200mah, last a whole weekend?

No. Not under the use case you gave. Most radios will last a day on a charge, some may last for two if there isn't much TX.

Is it worth it to have an external power connection for cigar. plug?, or extra charged battery better? How do AA cases compare?

It's really up to you and the conditions you're using it in. If you're backpacking, an extra battery is going to be more useful than a cig charger. If you're Jeeping, then the charger will be enough. AA cases are OK for emergencies, but they typically cause the TX power to be cut way down, like down to 1 watt or less.

Other than waterproofness is there a benefit to sma-male over sma-female, or bnc?

BNC is the most sturdy, but other than that I usually like to stick to whatever the majority of the radios are being manufactured with because you have more antenna choices. In any case, you can always get an adapter.

Is it not safe to assume that programing of HTs is for the most part a brand favorite issue and/or a computer knowledge issue?

It's really a personal preference issue, but some models do take more steps than others. What I look at is the number of necessary steps and whether or not I can remember it later.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated