• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-gain bringing back Penetrator 500

VA3ES

Old Buzzard
Oct 30, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
According to emails received from Hy-gain, Hy-gain is planning to bring the Penetrator 500 back to life. Apparently, they are getting a large number of requests for it. It will be a close replica of the original. They don't know if the name will remain the same, but probably so. This will be the first stand-alone CB/10M antenna produced, since MFJ bought Hy-gain in 1999, and several years before, when Telex closed the CB division. Estimated delivery as of now is about July, possibly before.

Wow that’s good to hear! I suggested that to them a couple years ago when I was ordering parts to rebuild a few penetrators I picked up locally. It should be a good seller if they can keep the price competitive.

too bad they're not interested in making a nice strong vector copy ..

......i know , i know ....... ya' just can please some frackin' people !!!!!!!

Decisions decisions
well Penatrator 500 or I-10K
wonder what the 500 will take as far as wattage

and from the price i seen it will be cheaper to buy a I-10K

Decisions decisions
well Penatrator 500 or I-10K
wonder what the 500 will take as far as wattage[/QUOTE} THe origianl Penetrator 500 could handle up to 1500W. If they keep the same Beta/hairpin matching system, it will proably handle same.
and from the price i seen it will be cheaper to buy a I-10K
The I-10K is $349.00. I suspect that the new Penatrator will most likely be about $100. less.

There is also the Mosely Dispatcher 275/Devant 5/8ths wl. and
Commercial Antennas by Mosley Electronics, Inc. which are priced at around $349.00 also.

Hy-Gain Penetrator Model 500 Antenna Assembly (new) @ $375. + Spg.

My Personal Build: Super CLR 2 Antenna Assembly (new) @ $375. + Spg.

Huster Super Swamper Model 27T (Refurbished) @ $375. + Spg

A/S Super Magnum Model M-117 (Refurbished) @ $375. + Spg.

Hy-Gain Penetrator Model 500 Antenna Assembly (new) @ $375. + Spg.
My Personal Build: Super CLR 2 Antenna Assembly (new) @ $375. + Spg.
Huster Super Swamper Model 27T (Refurbished) @ $375. + Spg
A/S Super Magnum Model M-117 (Refurbished) @ $375. + Spg.
What you're describing are the antennas on offer from Jim Dent's website, not Hy-gain. Jim rebuilds, refurbishes and builds new antennas from top quality material, so the prices will be up there.

yes, and i bet jim is going to be a bit pissed when he finds out that after all his hard work; people will be able to buy a new one instead of paying his prices.

dont get me wrong, he is charging a fair price for what he does, he just wont be able to compete soon.
LC

yes, and i bet jim is going to be a bit pissed when he finds out that after all his hard work; people will be able to buy a new one instead of paying his prices.

dont get me wrong, he is charging a fair price for what he does, he just wont be able to compete soon.LC
Yes, Jim does completely refurbish older Penetrators with new parts or he builds new ones from scratch. His work appears to be top quality, and he offers a top-notch product. That said, there will always be a market for NOS or original Penetrators. We don't yet know what Hy-gain's product will be like. Will they be as good as the originals, or just a cheaper version? I guess we will find out come July (as was mentioned in one of the emails).

dont get me wrong, he is charging a fair price for what he does, he just wont be able to compete soon.
LC

if he explains that the new aluminum used in new antennas sold today isnt as loud as the aluminium used in the old antennas he should be able to keep his sales going . ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?