• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-706MKII-G

Slam Dunk

Jul 11, 2006
Has anyone one here had any experience with the modification for full coverage transmitting on the MKII-G?

I quess the question would better be stated if I said, "has anybody done this mod to their own MKII-G radio and if so point me to the information"?

I quess the question would better be stated if I said, "has anybody done this mod to their own MKII-G radio and if so point me to the information"?

Yes,

Go to www.mods.dk the mod is there complete with pics. Just be careful when you remove the tiny diode. Its not hard. I used an Exacto Knife with a pointed blade to "pop" the diode from the board.

hope this helps!

Wayne C.

i have found that removing that little SMT diode via exacto knife (very carefully with small slow cuts) or very fine needle nosed pliers (& crushing the diode) is the preferred method, though both can cause damage if you're not cautious. de-soldering is best left to folks with experience & proper tools for SMT devices. i've done it for quite a few people, maybe 14 or 15 times. 1 USA-version mk2g with an SN 'in the middle' did NOT open up. the radio worked exactly as prior to removing the diode. still have no idea what was up with that one....

Works OK.

I saw a chart somewhere that showed TX power on the expanded bands.

A bit lower than the regular bands, some more than a bit.

http://www.ham.dmz.ro/icom/ic706mk2g-range-expansion.php

If you have a soldering iron with heat control and interchangeable tips, get a very fine point tip to use with these types of SMT jobs. Set the iron temp around 650 or so and you should be ok. Turn it down a little lower if you're not very good at soldering. If you use a little fresh solder on the tip, the board solder will flow real quick.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?