1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Icom IC-7000 HiFi

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Se7en, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

will this work with my icom using a shure sm58 microphone?

i ask this because it says it works with a yamaha head set?

i can make my own PTT switch.

here is the adapter: W2ENY MIC/PTT Adapter fits Yamaha CM500 Icom 706 7000 | eBay

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

It appears that adapter is made for an electret microphone, so I don't think it would do well with a dynamic microphone without modification.
    - 'Doc

3. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

Where can i buy the right adapter ? Just picked up a mic boom too. Kinda bummed out I have no way of hooking it up to my icom :(

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

4. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T

Lots of info here. I've used the same simple setup in the picture I posted with an IC 756Pro II, FT-950 and Knwd TS-2000. Works beautifully.

Behringer 802 mixer
    W2IHY iBox

http://www.worldwidedx.com/installation-station-setup/131897-how-do-you-hook-up-2.html

5. WR0220

WR0220 Active Member

Get a DIN plug and run your audio into the radio through the ACC plug on the back. ;)

Use these settings as a starting point and you'll have some great audio...

http://heilsound.com/amateur/dspsettings/all_icom.php

6. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T

I did that on the Pro II and compared the two mic audio inputs (not bypassing the mic pre-amp) by looking at an audio snapshot on a spectrum analyzer. No difference in badwidth, freq response or audio quality compared to going in through mic jack. It was kinda cool and looked neater not having a mic plugged into the front of the radio though.

#6 RatsoW8, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

When I get home ill take a look at all the links posted.
    I picked up a few rat shack mics with the 3.5 jack..... also ordered the ic-7000 plug he offers on ebay. Don't see why it will not work.
    I have a few vocal processors I'd like to try they all use the large 3.5 guitar type plug.

8. WR0220

WR0220 Active Member

Really? I didn't observe the audio on a SA, but all on the air reports stated that my audio sounded a lot better running through the ACC plug versus the mic jack. I haven't tried it on my 756 Pro II. I have the audio for it running through a rigblaster pro.

Morse - When you view the link to Heil's web site be sure to read how to decouple the DC from the audio line. Otherwise you may destroy the mic element. :eek:

9. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

Can I be linked to it please.
    http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/tips/i/706-iCM.gif

10. WR0220

WR0220 Active Member

It talks about it in this link:

All Things iCOM | Heil Sound

Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the heading: 'DC De-coupling on Icom Rigs'

11. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

So I need to take apart any dynamic mic I use and run a one micro farad non polarized cap on the +&- on the mic element. ?
    Again work with me here on this.....

12. WR0220

WR0220 Active Member

When I was running my audio input through the mic jack I installed the cap inside the mic plug. I soldered one lead to the pin and the other lead to the audio wire. Prior to soldering I slid a piece of shrink tube onto the wire (large enough to go over the cap), then slid it down over the cap/pin and heated it so it would protect it from shorting out against the plug housing. You only need the cap on the audio wire, and it must be a non-polarized. If you can't find one you can make one by soldering the + legs of two .5 uF polarized caps together, but it will require more space. Once I switched over to a Heil mic I didn't have to worry about it because the models I use already have the cap installed.