• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-7000 REVIEW

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
I wanted to provide this review of the ICOM IC-7000 from a completely non-technical person. I am just a user of the radio with no high tech test equipment or background in electronics.

I am going to provide the review in multiple parts allowing you to ask questions while I go. The first section is the display.

I bought the radio because I liked the display. My idea was to put the radio in my 2007 Jeep Wrangler. My Wrangler has a MYGIG stereo, which includes a 7-inch display for watching DVD’s. The IC-7000 has a very cool feature. There is a video out connection in the back panel. I purchased a cable that has a 1/8 inch stereo plug on one end that connects to the radio and an RCA plug on the other. I just simply connected the cable to my stereo and I had a enlarged view of the display on the stereo.

Attachments

• 14300p.jpg
    14300p.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,151

Nice to see some one doing a review on this radio, I know members will like it. I love my 7000 so much I am thinking of getting a second one for the truck.

AP

the biggest problem with the 7k is the HM-151 mike. they really are poor ,sound bassy and won't drive the rig properly unless the compressor is on.
do yourself a favor and send your mike to bob nagy ab5n, IC-7000 Mic Upgrade - Who am I? it will be the best $39.50 you ever spent. (y)
i also had the "extra"wirght added to my mic, it feels much better in my hand now.

hookedon6 is correct. I sent mine to Bob and am very very pleased with the results. I got the weight added also and it makes for a better feel and control of the mic.

check it out on eham reviews, Bob got 100% if I remember correctly.

AP

I found an extra mic on ebay so I bought it and had the seller ship it directly to Bob.

Now remember, I have no fancy test equipment, but here is what I did.

I set the mic gain at 50% with the stock mic, turned on the ALC meter.

Did a couple "claudio one two, claudio one two" (T2W reference) ;) into a dummy load.

I was getting about a quarter scale on the meter.

I then hooked the modified mic and did the same thing, now the meter was going to the end of the scale in the red.

I did a few on air reports and EVERY person on HF said the modified sounded much better.

Now, we have a local repeater here in Chicagoland and it is "hot" and when I run that mic, everyone says I sound over deviated. This is the only repeater that I get this complaint.

I also hooked up the Icom SM-20 to the radio and the results were the same as the modified hand mic. (y)

I will try and take a little video of this "battle of the mics" LOL

Nice Radio.. I just sold one..and sold 706 as well.. both great.. had Mics modified also.. you will enjoy it for sure.. buying new Alinco HF that came out last week.. just playing with radio's LOL..
Doug

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?