• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-80AD TX/RX Frequency expansion mod

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
RX frequency coverage expansion
Remove D6 on the LOGIC unit as shown in the illustration below.
TX frequency coverage expansion
Remove D4 on the LOGIC unit as shown in the illustration below.
4384_ic-80ad.gif

Picture from Wolfi, DB6WY.

4384_ic-80ad-1.jpg

D6 not there (?)

Hello, I am new to the amature scene, but I'm trying to start so I can join the Air Force MARS network for volunteer emergency assistance. Our local director sent me a link to this diagram on how to modify my handheld for use on their frequencies.... but my Icom IC-80AD does not have the "D6" resistor thingy. This is shown in the actual picture posted above, so I am a little confused. My IC-80AD has the "D4" resistor, but I don't think it's labeled as such.

What's also confusing is that the picture which matches my IC-80AD circuit board, is labeled "IC-A80D" (???). Does my IC-80AD even have any receive frequencies to be opened up anyways?

I guess I just want a little clarification before I potentially wreck my new handheld. I need to be able to transmit on 142 / 143 mHz.

Thanks,
Sam

If the resistor is in the correct location, then it's pretty safe to say that is the correct one to remove. If I'm not sure about one of these mods, what I do is just lift one side of the resistor/diode/etc. by applying my fine point soldering pen to that side. That way if it doesn't work, I can put it right back.

BTW, I'm in Navy MARS and I've done a bunch of these mods on various radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated