• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax vs. Sirio 827

Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
I I would like to know if anyone could help me with an antenna. I have a new Mosley 3 element beam I can't use. I live in Vermont and need to put up an Omni. I have an old Antron 99 using the thin coax. I want to buy either the Sirio 827 or the Imax 2000 with the ground plane. I live pretty low with a big mountain behind me.
Anyone have any good info on these 2 antennas?? I need one with good ears. I use a Icom 718 and a Ranger 2970 for my base stations...
Please email me or post a thread on here...

Thanks

Henry:sad:

Will be working 11 meters only...I was told that the Imax had better ears and was leaning towards that one...I have alot of mountains where I live and need the ears...
Anyone know if it is true??? Does the Imax have better ears than the Sirio 827???

Can you please tell me where you purchased that 2016??? I can't find a dealer other than H&Y and I don't think they carry that model...I know they have the 827...

If I was buying it for myself I would go with the 827 every time, not actually tried either the imax or the 827 myself, but I did put up an 827 for somebody a few months ago and I was quite impressed with the build quality. I have read so many reviews on UK forums and comparisons between the 827 and the imax, with the 827 winning every time. If you do go for the 827, they can be quite a noisy antenna if you don't fit the anti-vibration ring to the ground planes (you have to buy this separately) and you need to self-amalg tape up around the screws that hold the sections together so they don't corrode.

SIRIO
I have a Sirio 2016, beats any vertical I ever had..26..28 mhz, flat swr, great receive and great transmit..

DOCTOR/795
i agree with doc.bought one myself and its great.it replaced
my imax.tnhe imax is good but it seems prone to pickup transformer noise from
far away.my sirio doesnt pick it up nowhere near as much thus letting me
hear those far away stations.im down low on elevation my sirio does the job well
checkout copper.com for 2016.or goto palco and get a workman 5/8th eitnher
will be a great talker with quiet recieve

This past weekend I put up (temporarily)an Imax-2k I had in my shed to compare it with a 1/4 wave wire vertical with 2 gr radial legs. The wire vertical does just as well as the iMax at the same height and I had the wire in my junk box. I did a/b comparisons with an antenna switch. The wire vert. actually seemed to do a little better on local signals and both were the same on signals coming in from the short band openings on 10/11 meters we had over the weekend. It's also invisible in the 50 ft tree it's mounted in. vswr is 1.5:1 or less on 11m and very tunable on 10.

Has anyone ever taken apart an Imax-2000? I did. Junk.

I haven't had a Imax apart but I've had several antrons apart and they looked like they were soldered by a 2 year old lol
mike

I wouldn't go with either of them. I used to have a Imax 2000. We had a pretty bad storm and it fell over. I bought a maco 5/8 from copper.com and it beats the Imax hands down. Thats the one I would go with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated