• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

input sweeping of a snowcap 4 pill video

bushwacker

Jul 19, 2005
Northern Alberta Canada
I posted this at another forum ...but once again, no one was really interested in checking it out.
Its kinda a crappy video, but basically I am using an Anritzu to check the input tuning of a snowcap 4 pill. I think the input tuning ( stock before me adjusting) had a return loss of about 1.9 vswr or around 10db.
For the video I adjusted the input tuning up into the 10 meter band.

Anyways...I hope some one checks it out.

YouTube - sweep input snowcap rf amplifier.wmv

Yup I had a Snowcrap amplifier years ago. I know Peakaboo has re-worked several of them, ya might send him a PM. After they were Jokerized I guess they did pretty good.

Yup I had a Snowcrap amplifier years ago. I know Peakaboo has re-worked several of them, ya might send him a PM. After they were Jokerized I guess they did pretty good.

I will put this way. They were only used for parts. I usually turned the heatsink and around and re-drilled and tapped it. I used to tell people to take the amp out of the case and throw the case in the trash. The pills mounting flanges were usually bent from from improper installation so I would have to file them to get them as close to good as possible. They were just not a well put together amplifier.

I will put this way. They were only used for parts. I usually turned the heatsink and around and re-drilled and tapped it. I used to tell people to take the amp out of the case and throw the case in the trash. The pills mounting flanges were usually bent from from improper installation so I would have to file them to get them as close to good as possible. They were just not a well put together amplifier.

Theres a few problems with it... I'm not overly impressed with it. The owner only wants this thing strictly for sideband so I'm biasing it. I'm trying a new bias circuit with it just for fun.
The input tuning cap was pretty much dead....the positive power bus strip was touching one of the output transformer so the choke was doing nothing...the power bus was not secured to the board good enough, no other support except 2 side tape ( foam)...the sideband delay was disables because it just didn't work.... Boo told me to check the pill mounting, and I havent got around to it yet.

Like sure the thing works......but its a real quickie build.
I just hate guys that build with that foam tape and no other support....just double sided foam tape holding a strip to the board.

W5LZ...I sure would'nt mind checking out a few other amps the same way. That would be cool.
There is a guy that lives pretty close to me that has a few gater built and a bunch of daves...I would love to be able to compare the gater to a dave.
All I have here is older stuff, tube and stuff I built.

But on another note....I tuned the input in this first video.
YouTube - input tuning snowcap rf amplifier.wmv

In the next video I hook up a bird to the input of the amp just to check the reflect and how good it tuned.
YouTube - Input tuning verified with a bird 2009-12-25-74723.wmv

Hey Bushwacker, I just watched several of your videos this morning. Posted on the other site. If your company ever decides to sell one of those Aritsu's, let me know. I love it. Wish I had something like that here.

Hey Bushwacker, I just watched several of your videos this morning. Posted on the other site. If your company ever decides to sell one of those Aritsu's, let me know. I love it. Wish I had something like that here.

Its a beutifull piece of equipment ...and its real easy to use.
Our company only has this one anritsu and a bird that does pretty much the same thing.
The bird is kept at one of our other shops I don't work at so I have never seen it, but its pretty much the same thing.

The only thing I really use it for is sweeping communication systems ( way easier than a monitor), cans and stuff like that....it can do alot more.
What I like is being able to save the data.... it really covers you a$$ if something goes wrong.

But I'll tell you what Crusher.... if the company ever upgrades and wants to sell these....I'll let you know.

Thanks for the input.
I'm glad someone is actually watching these stupid videos

It's been years since I used a scope, well since college (mid 90's). Never used a spectrum analyzer. Actually thinking about buying a scope. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Will have to brush up on scope skills.LOL

driving the snowcap with.... 2.5 watts swing to 10 ...and then 30 watts carrier low swing.
The snowcap is running off of 12 volts. The meter is crappy but it reads a little lower ( carrier wise) than the bird. Its just a general idea of what the amp is putting it out.
I didn't have a real high swinging radio...so I hit it with a good carrier to check output power. I tested it for about 5 minutes straight with no cooldown before the video.

YouTube - output power snowcap ( 12 volts) 30 watt carrier low swing2009-12-26-64215.wmv

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated