• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Inside the Yaesu VX-8r GPS module (FGPS-2) & pinout information

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Today I decided to crack open the optional GPS module FGPS-2 for the VX-8r to see what was in there. Of course, I took pics for everyone to see.

Here is a pic of the Yaesu VX-8r with the optional GPS and mounting bracket (CM-136) attached to the radio:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-vx-8r-picture369-radio-gps-attached.jpg

There are two very small screws on the back of the GPS unit that allow you to crack it open. Here's what it looks like on the inside:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-fgps-2-gps-unit-picture1479-gps-unit-opened.jpg

You can see that the unit is sealed with a green rubber gasket to waterproof it. Even the screws have little plastic washers on them to keep the moisture out.

Here is a closeup of the top of the GPS module:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-fgps-2-gps-unit-picture1476-front-gps-module.jpg

And here is a closeup picture of the back:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-fgps-2-gps-unit-picture1477-back-gps-module.jpg

The markings on the top right of the back side are:
GPS72A(C)042
LTM0838

The bottom right has a board number: P08-700C. The bottom left looks like a part number: PN-042A. I tried in vain to google all of these numbers to find out more information about this module. Perhaps someone else will recognize it. I DID find out by going through the specs that this is a 12 channel GPS receiver.

Here is a picture of the mounting adapter. I'm holding the front of the adapter toward my body and then tilting it forward for the pic. I've labeled the pin numbers in the picture:
moleculo-albums-yaesu-fgps-2-gps-unit-picture1478-gps-radio-adapter-pinout.jpg

The GPS unit only uses 5 of these pins. Here is the information I was able to scrounge up on the pinout for these pins:

5 – 3.3v
6 – GPS RXD
7 – GND 13 – GPS TXD
14 – Not used

You can cross reference the pinout of the GPS unit against the radio's speaker/mic connector here:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/39105-yaesu-vx-8r-mic-gps-cable-pinout.html

I did manage to get the vx-8r i have to run with another module.

The Navilock NL-507 ETTL will work. You need to set it up in Compatibility-mode, though. The VX-8's parser is pretty stupid and expects fixed numbers of digits in the NMEA sentences.

one sentence i recorded was:
$GPGGA,201613.000,4340.7221,S,07920.6194,E,1,00,1.0,134.6,M,-35.3,M,,*7D

The VX-8 expects 9600 Baud NMEA,

$GPGGA
$GPRMC
$GPZDA

The Navilock unit cost me 35 Euro.

I hope some expert adds to this thread -- I'm looking at the FTM-350R, which can use the same GPS module, but would like to switch to a proper rooftop external GPS antenna.

Another description of pin-outs on either end of a CT-M11 cable / CT-136 adapter may be found here: http://www.0xdecafbad.com/2009/09/vx-8-data-cable/

Last edited:
Probable manufacturer of GPS module

I think the module is produced by Positions, Inc., a subsidiary of Chiyoda Electronic Company. Found this (probable predcesor of the unit in the Yaesu module)

http://www.cec-chiyoda.co.jp/info/GPS_Rev1.pdf

which lists the GPS-72A(B) 038 model number.

They're on the GPS 75 series, so I'll poke around and see if I can find a datasheet for the GPS-72A(C) 042.

Happy trails.

Last edited:
I opened mine up and this is what I found.
In the upper left hand corner is a wire that wasn't in Moleculo's picture, and because of that I was scared to attempt to flip the module.

I wouldn't doubt if they used GPS-72A(A-D) depending on manufacture date.

If anyone finds that GPSVP program, let me know. It'd be nice to use the advanced functions of this reciever on the PC.

Attachments

• fgps2.jpg
    fgps2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 716
Nope, the (B) and maybe (A) models run off coin cells, so I guess the (C) and maybe (D) were custom built for an application such as the FGPS-2.

More questions than answers, I guess.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated