• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Intentional, Unlicensed Radiator 905MHz

C2

Aug 3, 2005
In the course of our business, we want to transmit a test signal on 905MHz.

0dBm (1mW) into a ~1/4 wave whip.

Would this be legal? If not, what alternatives do we have?

I think we cannot use our call since it is for business.

You cannot make a transmission without being licensed for that transmission and abiding by whatever the licensing regulations are for that particular license.

So look at the license your business has for the frequency and make the determination that way. If there isn't one...there is your answer.

If a transmission falls in the woods, would a pooping bear notice it?

part 15 of 47CFR allows for unlicenced operation in the 902-928MHz band.

15.249 limits field strength to 50 millivolts/meter at 3 meters. Will it that allow 0dB into a 1/4wave antenna? dunno, maybe if you knew antenna gain, then you could figure it.

But 15.247 allows up to 1 watt output into 6dB gain antenna if 50-channel hopping is used.

There are other tricks like "data whitening" which allow higher power without hopping.

The device we want to use to produce the signal is already commercialized as test equipment, a signal generator. We just need the signal to demonstrate our equipment, which is a measuring receiver. The question is how to get a signal for us to measure?

As I started reading Part 15, Subpart C it seemed that intentional radiators needed to be licensed:

§ 15.201 Equipment authorization requirement.
(a) Intentional radiators operated as
carrier current systems and devices operated
under the provisions of §§ 15.211,
15.213 and 15.221 shall be verified pursuant
to the procedures in subpart J of part 2 of this chapter prior to marketing.

and

§ 15.203 Antenna requirement.
An intentional radiator shall be designed
to ensure that no antenna other
than that furnished by the responsible
party shall be used with the device.

We cannot comply with either of these requirements.

Is there another band we can use? Also, my company has a license for some UHF commercial radios. Wonder if we can just use those frequencies anywhere offsite?

If its a temporary transmitter, I wouldnt fret over it.

If you have a ham license, you could operate it as a beacon station under rule 97.203, using the 33cm band for 905MHz.
Just make sure it indents with ham callsign at least every ten minutes of transmitting.

OK, I think we just won't do it. It is for commercial purposes, so no IDing there. Also, we would likely be in the presence of FCC agents from time-to-time...

If you guys are in the RF biz, you should consider an RF safe room as a lab.

We've got one here at work for playing with wi-fi devices.

Basically a Faraday cage room with all the walls/floor/ceiling bonded together as well as the door etc. and tied to ground. It's not a perfect cage, but it's a massive attenuation, enough you don't see any of the signals with standard wi-fi gear outside the walls.

We do have an anoich chamber and isolation room.

Basically, it's like taking our product to a Mac World type thing, trade shows, etc... and showing off our product.

It would be like wanting to demo a new digital TV receiver that has the highest sensitivity, but no OTA digital signal to receive.

Of course, we could always connect direct with coax, but then we could not walk up to our competitors booth and challenge them to receive the same signal with their box...a SxS comparison.

Anyway, I was just looking for anything that would be available for unlicensed use if the power was low enough, then it would be OK.

Another thing I wondered, how do we get away with our antenna analyzers that send a signal into the antenna?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.