1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Inverted V Doublet and Sirio SD-27 pics

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Lazybones1222, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Lazybones1222

Lazybones1222 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I put the new Sirio SD-27 on the mast with the existing ladder line fed doublet that I use on the HF bands. The ladder line for the doublet in the picture is 600 ohm (real) ladder line coupled to a Dentron Super Tuner in the shack.

Everything but the Sirio is scraps from the garage and stuff red neck engineered and picked up from the local Lowes. The doublet is in the inverted V configuration and works great on the ham bands.

I fed the Sirio with LMR 400 coax. My copper pipe 2 meter J pole is peeking in from the left in one of the pics.

The antenna is performing great and I am real pleased with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KB1TPX

KB1TPX W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Impressive, good engineering!

3. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

That looks nice. Where did you get that stand off mount for the horizontal boom that is holding the sirio?

4. Sirio D-27 Dipole Review
    Sirio Antenne - Products

5. Lazybones1222

Mole - the standoff and mast clamp came with the antenna. $58 plus shipping on Ebay from H&Y Electronics. A good value. Thing works fantastic locally. Antenna is surprizingly broadbanded. SWR is very good on 10 meters.

Here is another review: http://www.hevener.com/sirio.html

#5 Lazybones1222, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  6. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Sr. Member

So what is that running up to the top? A rope ladder?:confused:

You got more balls than I do if it is!:D

7. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

That is 600 ohm ladder line. Great stuff to run a doublet with!

8. Lazybones1222

Bah haw haw @ Jesse. You know - I never thought of climbing that sucker like a ladder. I think I'll give it a try. Be right back.......

9. kd-5-bgt

kd-5-bgt W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Weelll Lazy isnt back yet...guess he fell from the ladder line :oops: :whistle:

10. Lazybones1222

Dah gumit Jesse, that thing gave out about half way up. :( I need to go on a diet.

11. davegrantsr

davegrantsr Active Member

what's keeping the conduit stadning straight & tall? gets windy in them parts during 'cane season.....

i know the ATL ties....howzabout some CWB ties? you know ki4zzz/wild rat in CW? howzabout wa4gch/cef132 in sem-eye-nole?

12. Lazybones1222

I have guys ropes right below the pic, and the pipe is doubled all the way to the ground with u clamps and the joints are offset - 300 lbs of concrete where it hits the ground. It is pretty stout for a bunch of crap from Lows redneck engineered.

I know wild rat - he is like 4 miles south of me, used to talk to him on CB, but he is sick and does not talk much anymore. He has some nice antennas and Harleys though. Bruce is 10 miles south of me but I do not recall talking to him. What is his CB handle?

13. davegrantsr

we use HDWTE up here.....home depot white trash engineering....guess it's about the same as redneck engineered ;-). my shtuff usually stays up, & i'm in a high windzone too, so we'll see where yours stands by nov 1st!

didn't know that about patrick.....hope all works out. bruce is a hardcore ham, he only used to do cb for 'that other forum's' sunday net, he used '***132'. haven't seen him post on any of his regular forums in about 3 months, so not sure what's going on there. i've gotten 2 of his 'mass' emails recently, but he never responded to my reply, so not sure. he's a big 6m SSB guy & even does some 2m, & i've talked to him on 10m e skip. also a few other guys in your area, can't think of offhand, between st pete, new port richey up to auburndale back down to the other side of the sunshine skyway.....

spoke to 547 ATL this morning. he said he just spoke to you recently, but did tell me to say hello nonetheless.

14. Lazybones1222

547....haha..... I bought a Sirio antenna from him. 305 put it in the top of a 60 ft pine tree, and I left it in the pine tree in ATL when I moved here. I did yank and yank until my lmr 400 busted out the bottom of it so I could salvage that. That 547 guy is a character man. I went to his house once. His girlfriend was scary.....haha. They cussed each other out while I was there.

The locals on 13 there call 547 "mean man". haha Where abouts' you call home davegrantsr?

15. davegrantsr

check your PM box.....